REPLY

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Remembering a "Happy" Christmas

^^ me and Aunt Lynn ^^
Our Christmases as young kids were bittersweet. Bittersweet because there were times when we didn't have Christmases, and when we did only the simplest gifts were exchanged. There were plenty of years when we went without, and it didn't seem to matter to us. To be honest, now that I'm writing about this I actually do remember having a small nativity displayed on top of our television set. I also remember having fixtures of Santa's all over the house. Gifts were very little...or none at all.

Seeing how your abuela would handle things as a single mother until I was about nine during Christmas time was impressive. I remember her never being angry during the holidays. She did her best in being calm and peaceful, and I think because of her example it has helped me how to handle Christmas...especially when it comes to gift giving. It has caused me to reflect back on that, and it makes me extremely grateful . It didn't matter to her if were low income, and couldn't afford the nice toys that were popular at that time. No matter how hard she struggled on her own, she would manage to keep us happy, but mostly unspoiled, and grateful. That is what I'm trying to teach y'all!

I also remember Santa coming over to our house one evening. I recall him being extremely friendly to abuela, and making her feel cared for. The night he came over I remember wearing nothing but red underwear (the kind where they had ruffles on the tush.) I kept as quiet as possible so I can hear them talk. He was talking to abuela in Spanish, and I didn't quite understand what they were saying. All I remember is your abuela expressing her gratitude, hugging Santa, and taking a black hefty bag into the closet. I had no clue what would be in it, but more or less I knew it had to be presents.

That's when your Aunt Lynn and I owned a doll of our own. Our very first doll. I named her Tracy. I can't remember Aunt Lynn's. I was five and Aunt Lynn was eight. They looked like American Girl dolls too! Too bad I don't have her anymore. You can tell by the smiles on our faces that nothing else mattered. We were so happy for receiving one gift. The turtlenecks in the picture were a gift too, and if you look closely there are Golden Books underneath the tree in the background of this photo. Rudolph was my favorite, and I still have that book. I also remember getting red Keds. Even though I was five, and hardly remember anything...looking at this picture brought back some memory of a happy Christmas. 

It's photos like this, (and I wish I had more to show from my youth) where all I want to remember are the positive things that occurred throughout my childhood. The smiling faces, the hugs, the smell of homemade tortillas, the warmth I felt from your abuela before our stepfather came into our life. The non stressful atmosphere before inflation hit in the 70's. I have to say that was the sweetest Christmas of all. Remembering the positive things in your life instead of the negative things feels great! 

Of course things were different back then, and today times have changed. I always try to make your Christmases magical, meaningful, and special. I don't want to stress out over what gifts to get y'all because seriously, we shop for all of you all year round! It' not worth getting caught up in all the hoopla of having stress over Christmas, and forgetting what the meaning of having Christmas is all about. Traditions are crucial, and we always manage to fit those in. It is nice to have things planned way in advanced to avoid all the stress, and we have always managed to work around your school/church activities, and music lessons so that I don't get overwhelmed in December. I appreciate your attitudes in how you deal with the 'mean mom' at times. As y'all are aware...I can be very sweet too! 

I love you all, and I'm happy to say that I am enjoying this season of giving, and light! Each Christmas seems to get easier and simple. I slowly feel my stress diminishing. I hope that you'll remember the happiest, most simplest moments of every Christmas that passes, and when you have your own families...I hope that you will pass it on. 

Can't wait until Christmas morning. 

xoxo-Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment