REPLY

Friday, March 21, 2014

the one about "R" rated movies.

^^^ picture via google ^^^

Growing up my mom had the tendency to take me to R rated movies. Some of them were soooooo not appropriate for a child, but when you have no babysitter what do you do...take the child with you & and that's what she did. So in a sense it wasn't my choice because I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult I have a choice as to what movies I want to watch. 

One movie that I'll always remember seeing with my mom is The Warriors. I didn't really understand it as a nine year old kid, but watching it while in my teens oh yeah...I really enjoyed that movie (still do...shhhh!) One thing about that particular movie is the fact that it portrayed gangs, New York City, & Coney Island. It wasn't an influential movie but it sure taught me to not be affiliated with any gangs, or cause trouble for anyone. 

I don't judge my mother for some of the movies she took me to see. I actually thank her in some instances for showing me that there is more truth & feeling to life in the movies rather than sheltering me from the world outside of the movie, hence having an open mind.

As members of the LDS church we are advised to not watch R rated movies, and I normally don't, but if I ever do I guarantee that they are movies that will make a difference in our lives. The "R" movies that I have watched have been influential, inspiring and most importantly it teaches me to teach my kids that sometimes movies show more of the truth than just a book with just words, or an 'R' movie that has been edited for television, and pre-edited over, and over again. 

I have heard parents complain about the movies they have their kids watch in high school, but in all honesty I am grateful for some of the movies they expose our kids to.

First of all if it is a movie that's not going to teach my kid morals, and the only meaning you get out of it is to have sex, get drunk, scare you to death to the point where you end up going to bed at night with the lights on until your 30, or the ones that murder for a dumb reason without no meaning behind the story...then I agree. Bag it. Have your child do extra homework, stay after school, or whatever it is they have them do.

But...

If it's a movie that I know is going to have a huge impact on my child teaching them about the history of the world whether it's good, bad, graphic, ugly, or sad, then yes...I will sign off on it. 

Why...

Because the movies that one of my children have watched thus far have been influential, and inspiring. 

After reading this article I have to agree that there are some PG-13 movies out there that show more violence than the R rated movies depicting true stories from U.S. history.

They show these movies for a reason. Whether they're rated R or PG-13 I commend them for not sheltering our kids, and that they are allowing them to watch such movies so that they can learn, and have a better detailed understanding of what historical movies are all about...especially the ones that show cruel reality. 

My oldest daughter Sierra, took a holocaust/genocide class in her senior year last year which consisted of having her watch movies such as Schindler's List, Hotel Rwanda, Behind Enemy Lines & American History X . She was old enough to make her own choice at the time, but still asked us if it was okay to watch them. As a parent I personally feel that it's important to expose our children to certain movies that depict the ugliness of man so that they can get a better understanding by seeing the full picture. I can't even begin to tell you how much she learned & developed the truest of compassion for human kind. She had a lot of 'aha' moments, and matured in many ways by watching these films. Two of these movies were rated R & I signed her permission slip fully supporting it...without judgment

Last Friday Jon I went to the movies to watch 12 Years a Slave and yes...it is rated R. I have been wanting to watch that movie since the Oscars aired. Learning how Solomon Northup was abducted and sold into slavery in 1841, and seeing how wicked the nature of man can get really makes me appreciate his story.

Some people may feel that they don't need to watch the movie because they read books, but again...I personally will not shelter my kids in anything that will teach them about "reality" in the world now and then. Books are great, but sometimes we need to go in depth, and see the realness of human unkindness, and how brutal history was through a film. 

Movies such as the ones they showed in school can be life changing for all generations to come. I just learned that 12 Years A Slave will be added to the high school curriculum in September, and I'm glad. I feel that every teenager and parent should not only read the book, but watch this harrowing true story because it shows unimaginable strength, courage, and survival. It truly is an extraordinary story.

I have no regrets in giving my daughter  permission to watch the "R" movies in her holocaust/genocide class, and no regret in watching 12 Years a Slave because that is what happened folks. It's called history, & if we don't teach our kids about history...then history can repeat itself. Having our children learn about the past can shape the future. In most cases today...sometimes history is the present. 

**If you're a huge U.S. history buff here is a list of influential movies that are true stories that I really appreciated. Unfortunately some of these are rated R specifically for graphic war scenes, & language, but that's how they portray it folks. It's realistic, but uplifting at the same time...at least it was for me. 

Glory
The Patriot
The Killing Fields
The Pianist
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Amistad

and a list of some of my favorite PG-13 movies that are influential (& true stories) as well!

Lincoln
Empire of the Sun (one of my all time faves!)
Malcolm X
Gandhi
Amazing Grace

Now go to town on your netflix to watch one of these movies. They are all good! 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment