REPLY

Monday, April 16, 2018

An Inspirational Girls Night Out In NYC!

This past weekend we had the opportunity to attend a fireside at the Lincoln center in New York city. Although this specific fireside was broadcasted in our area my girls, and I decided to make it a girls night. We drove into the city in hopes to have a little one and one time with each of them afterwards, and we did! This evening truly made up for no longer having general women's session in the spring, and it was so much better because we got to meet with all of them! 

Sister Jean B. Bingham, Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, and Sister Christina B. Franco are the General Presidents of different auxiliaries in the church, and they all came to speak to us about becoming unified as sisters, and being like Christ. One thing I love about this fireside was that all women were invited, and because of all the changes that took place during general conference recently all girls ages 12, and up were asked to come. This made me excited to include Chelsea, and she was thrilled to have met Sister Cordon. We all were!
Fellowshipping in the church should be simple, and loving others shouldn't be a hard thing to do when it comes to the sisterhood in the church because no matter what age, color, nationality we are, and what level of spirituality we are at with God shouldn't matter. I love how each sister talked about being like the Savior, and all the attributes He exhibits such as compassion, patience, humility, and the most important outstanding attribute...LOVE.

This was something I needed to be reminded of because there are days when life kicks in hard, and ugly, and I will forget how to be a nice person. I love that I recognize my flaws, and that each day is a new day for me to be better by knowing that I am an imperfect person doing the best I can in a universe that is tainted with wars, and hate. Listening to their words always brings me hope that I can be that "one kind lady" that can bring light to someones dark moment. 
I didn't realize the affect this meeting would have on my girls especially Lexie. I love that she is not afraid to express her feelings, or show emotion. We took our time afterwards in meeting with all these wonderful sisters so we could have some personal time with them. Lexie was lucky to have had more than 5 minutes talking with Sister Cordon. She was really moved when Sister Cordon talked about her experience in college, and because she is leaving for college in the fall thanked Sister Cordon for her words of encouragement. It truly gave Lexie hope in knowing that everything will work out. Sometimes I think that my girls have it together, but somewhere hidden inside their soul is a need for true motivation from someone else other than my words. 

Sister Cordon was there for my girls, and I am so grateful for the time she took to listen, nurture, hug, laugh, and sincerely let them know that they can do hard things. If Sister Cordon went through some hard times as a young adult, and learned from them by developing deep compassion while going through a rough patch then any young women can do the same. We learn at a young age how to let life affect us, and we have the choice to choose light over darkness.
I look at Sister Bingham with high regard. There were so many sisters hovering over her that I just stood there waiting for her to set eyes on me. She is a general authority of Relief Society so my respect for her is at an all time high. Luckily we had a couple of minutes to thank her for her words in reminding us how important it is to look at everyone with spiritual eyes, and to do our best in catching the vision of charity when it comes to ministering our fellow sisters. 
Sister Franco is a sweetheart, and reminded me of my mom when she was younger. Her Spanish accent, her hair, and smile are a spitting image of what my mom looked like at her age. Such a beautiful lady with a heart full of love. We hit it off so well, and because she is the primary general president I was talking to her about my Noah, and how he is so special to me. She truly has a love for the children, and hearing her talk that included one simple word can make a difference in how a small child can grow up to be. KIND.  I so loved her simple, and sweet talk, and that is exactly what I'm teaching my boy to be. 
All these women are definitely in tune with the Lord, and the spirit was so strong with them. I know that they are here for us as sisters to guide us when it comes to fellowshipping others, and to teach our children to be kind. I am so glad we chose to go to the city to hear them in person, and meet with them. My girls sure needed that validation, and to hear their personal words of advice that was just for them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment