REPLY

Friday, March 25, 2022

Happy Friday And Thoughts On My Grey Hair.

 

I’ve been getting a lot of compliments about my grey hair lately and how cool it is for me to just let it all grow out and let go! 

And then there are some who ask, “are you ever going to color it again.” 

In all honesty that question was annoying at first but have become used to it and luckily my comebacks are an emphatic "no" and because these people know how I am won’t ask me again. 

And while there are days when I debate on coloring it again I honestly don’t want to. Not only does it cost money but I've noticed that it wears and tears on my hair and I would like to keep my curl and whatever hair I have left on my head! LOL!

And I love my hair...I love that I can walk through a grocery store without having to buy it from a bottle. Or drive by a beauty salon without feeling the need to call and make that appointment except to get a trim. And to have the lady cutting it telling me, "girl, do you know how much people pay to have grey hair like yours?" It reminded me of the time people would also tell me how they would love to have my natural curly hair without paying hundreds of dollars and again will ask, "you know how much people pay to get their hair permed and curly like yours?" 

Growing up as a little girl and well into my teens I loathed my hair. I got made fun of so much and accepted the fact that I was an "ugly duckling." It did major damage to my self esteem and people wondered why I was the way I was back then. And even though I began to like my hair as a young adult in my 20's, having babies can really do a number on your hair and of course - so can adding chemicals to it. But I still wanted that straight hair look and I would have my hair professionally straightened at times. Now I'll just do it myself with a Chi flat iron that cost me 30 bucks! 

As you get older It's amazing how life shifts not only with the world, but with yourself. And even more so when you have two adult daughters and so much more when the world is in chaos. You literally just don't care anymore about the petty things such as coloring that grey. (Not to mention catty fake people but that's a whole other blog post!)

As a 50 year young something I can genuinely write and say that I LOVE myself even more now. It truly is liberating to feel like you just don’t care about what people think and how your hair looks like in a vanity sense. There are so many women and young girls out there who color their hair grey and in my opinion doesn't look too bad but hey, whatever makes you feel beautiful do it! 
Cause I am. 

In the past 10 months I have learned to accept everything about myself. Wrinkles, skin tags, little crows feet, hair loss, my little muffin top and the fact that I'm going through menopause, and embracing all that comes with that and aging - grey and all. Confidence and freedom is how I feel now when I walk around with my grey hair and I really don’t think I want to go back to coloring it. 

Nah…. So happy to see that I’m not alone and that the silver/grey look is in - and it feels great! 


No comments:

Post a Comment