REPLY

Monday, July 8, 2013

national zoo in D.C.

Life certaintly keeps us busy with four kids, and although school is out...when summer comes it gets even busier! The first week of July is now a part of history. I can't believe how quick that one flew by! I haven't had time to document our adventures in my handwritten journal, and I will just as soon as I post about the weekend we had on our way to pick Sierra up from EFY. 

Rather than waking up early in the morning to drive six hours to Virginia to pick up Sierra at 7am we decided to spend the day in D.C. and actually take our time to do the things we love the most. Living in the center of three great cities (Philly, New York, & D.C.) spoils us because there is so much to do and see. We certainly need  more than one day to see all the sights. Luckily Sierra going to EFY again this year gave us a reason to venture out yet again. 

The last time we went to the National Zoo was four years ago before Noah was born. I have always wanted to take him, but every time we come to D.C. we end up going to the LDS temple (which is my favorite), our favorite bookstore as well as eating at one of our favorite restaurants that are not local in Philly, or Jersey. 

If we're lucky with extra time on our hands we will go to the National Mall and see some of the sights. Luckily we have already seen, and documented most of the nations capitol, but there are still more places I would like to go to such as the Holocaust Museum, Mount Vernon, and take a tour inside the White House.  

Luckily my love for Abe was fulfilled when we saw the Lincoln Memorial as well as the veterans memorial. My favorite! 

So this time we decided to go to the National Zoo, and spend our afternoon there. Now Noah can scratch this off his little bucket list. I love this zoo because it's free, and the fact that there is so much to see! All you pay for is parking, and the rest is up to you to make the best of it. 

Most of the animals were indoors because of the heat, and I don't blame them! It's been hotter than blazes this whole week! Be prepared to do a whole lot of walking too. I seriously think I lost five pounds walking around in this humidity! 

The kids all had a grand time. I don't get how little kids can tolerate the heat better than the adults. Noah  and Chelsea were good sports with walking, and as long as they all had their water bottles they were in good spirits. 
There were moments when Jon carried Noah on his shoulders. As a dad should I might add.
I really loved this day. Even if I didn't take a lot of pictures of the animals because they were hiding and sleeping in shaded areas where you couldn't see them. Noah and Chelsea tip toed, looked through the telescopes, and Jon even picked up Noah to help him spot a fishing cat. 
Even though we couldn't see the entire anatomy of some of the animals that was fine by me. I'd rather take pictures of my kids anyway. Then again it was fall when we experienced the zoo for the first time,  and there were more animals to see. 

For now...I have more photos of three great kids, and tomorrow there will be more pictures, and another documentation of four great kids. 
So enjoy, and I hope you stay cool and don't roast out there in this beast of a hot humid climate! Happy Monday, and have a great week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment