REPLY

Friday, October 25, 2013

the best of friends in sisterhood.


Having Sierra in college has its pros and cons. Pros because her siblings get to take over her room, and cons because, well...we miss her.

A few days after Sierra went off to college Chelsea wanted to sleep on her bed, and we said that was fine. Now...she and Noah have completely taken over her room. Meaning when Sierra comes home on some weekends she goes upstairs and rooms with Lexie. Which is fine for Sierra because they are the best of friends, and as close as any sisters can get.
^^ Lexie 5 months & Sierra (5 years), circa-2005 ^^

Ever since Lexie was born Sierra has always been by her side tending to her, playing with her, and keeping her company on the days I was a young tired mom. They never once bickered, fought, and I hardly ever yelled. I look back on those days and realized how wonderful I had it. Two sweet girls five years apart and they immediately hit it off like two peas in a pod. Sometimes I feel as if I took their good behavior for granted because of the way my childhood was. I mean...my sister and I got along when we were young kids, but there were days where I felt "left out", or "unloved". There was a lot of fighting, pulling of the hair, and yelling. I guess you can say I couldn't believe how having these two sweet girls was too good to be true. Having two girls who never fought. Till this day they are the best of friends. The best. Sure they'll tease each other, and have the tiniest of the most tiny disagreements, but they have never once uttered any hurtful words to each other, talked ill of one another, or ignored each other. 

I know we shouldn't compare lives with other mothers, or families but I'm going to compare my mother's in the way she raised me, to the way I'm raising my kids now. 

Even though we lived in a small house in Texas which literally had three rooms, a porch, a bathroom (shower was outside) my upbringing was so different..in an unhappy kind of way. You'd think that with my sister and I sharing a bed for almost 18 years that we'd be close, but we weren't. I know it was because of how we were raised, and the example our mother set for us while we were young. 

Kids see everything, and hear everything. I saw everything, and heard everything. I look back and saw how resilient I was in all the things I endured as a kid, and I'm so grateful for it. Still...memories can come back and haunt you, and try to ruin your soul, and that's when I knew that I wanted different for my life, and the type of future that I wanted to embark on. 

The key to changing my life, and the ways I was brought up clicked inside my brain and knew that i wanted different for my future. I wanted happiness. I wanted to take God more seriously. I wanted to have a boyfriend who respected me, and didn't see me as an "easy girl". That wasn't my scene anymore, and i give thanks each day that I found that change. My conversion with The Lord was the key to my happiness, and that is something that I have passed on to my kids. 

My mother did the best that she could in raising me, and my sister. I thank the good Lord that we survived every trial as a youth, and that we didn't hold that against our mother, and that we are not estranged. I love her, and there is nothing in the world that I would do for the both of them. Too bad they live 1760 miles away!

Changing the ways I was brought up, and to not repeat those same mistakes my mother did makes me extremely grateful. Grateful to have The Lord as a firm foundation in the home, to never take Him or His word for granted, and that I am there for my kids no matter what. 

No matter what. 

Because of that I know that is why our girls, and the rest of our kids are all unified as one, take their baptismal covenants seriously, have never once compromised their values for any occasion, or for any young man, and that we are all bonded as a family. 

And why these two have the best, truest friendship in sisterhood anyone could ever have. Sometimes I'm envious with pleasure that they have that. Had to add the pleasure part because envy is not good! 

So...

^^ Sierra (18) & Lexie (13)- summer in rhode island 2013 ^^
If you want to know two wonderful girls with a heart so big, and full of love with a forgiving heart as big as the sun...these are the girls you'd want to hang around with, and call "a truly good friend."

**Warning...they are half Mexican, so their crossness comes out every now and then. It takes a lot for them to feel that, but just beware. I've witnessed it in a cute, and funny way! 

Remember...no one is perfect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment