REPLY

Monday, February 3, 2014

''Love" & the Saratov Approach

We made it! We survived the harsh, bitter cold winter that January brought & made it into February...the month of love! And so far we've started it off on the right foot.

Before I start going off on a tangent about our weekend I want to write a little bit about love. Everything in this world can be filled with love, and can be lovely. We just have to find it, and show it. We can turn our dark & dreary days and fill it with the light of love. The unloving things that happen in the world such as death, kidnappings, murder, school shootings, drug overdoses & every unkind action that happens in our life can be turned into love. This is a perfect example of turning something dark into something lovely.

The love that I carry for my family & friends is very deep. So deep that I will sacrifice my life for them. And in any moment when I'm feeling down I find that when I journal, help a friend in need, or read the scriptures a unique transformation takes place & I'm a much more calm & happier person!  I'm almost like June Cleaver, no, not really...I just don't raise my voice as much. Turning to the source where that love comes from can help you recover any dark thing that overcomes your light. Seriously though, being in tune with God without harboring any bad thoughts no matter what situation you may be in is a miracle and life changing! Compassion definitely kicks in, and with all your might, and strength it will be done! And that is the greatest feeling to have! It doesn't feel good when any of us harbor any ill will, or negative thoughts towards someone.

This past weekend was filled with so much "love and compassion", and so many tears. Testimony meeting at our church yesterday was filled with nothing but expressing our love, and praises for Jesus (no...we're not like the characters in Joyful Noise, but it would be interesting if we would sing like that)! 

Going on a double date with one of my newest, & dearest friends with our men was the highlight of my Friday evening. Taking my 14 year old daughter to see the Saratov Approach movie again on Saturday was unforgettable. I loved seeing the emotional side of her. The love for family, God, & the scriptures are number one in my life. The scriptures...because whether it's the bible or the Book of Mormon & especially the Book of Mormon really sheds a lot of light. So much light that when I read them no matter how dark the moment...light & love takes over. And I never want to get out of the habit of reading something that's so true and filled with nothing but the light of Christ. 

Watching the Saratov Approach movie not once, but twice this weekend was one of those 'great' examples of love & compassion, but most of all faith. I remember reading about these two young missionaries being kidnapped back in 1998, and having an almost three year old kept me too busy to follow up on their story. 

Now their story is being told on the big screen. This is an amazing story of faith and survival which came from the hand of God. These young men who served as missionaries for the LDS church exhibited that attribute while being held captive in Russia nearly 15 years ago. I can't even imagine the thoughts that were going on through their mind in figuring out ways to survive. They were the perfect example of love and faith in their true story. Even when they knew they were going to die they had a peace within them that came from their Father in heaven, and it was a victorious & beautiful ending.
^^ picture via Maclain Nelson's Instagram ^^
This movie strengthened me in so many ways. It reminded me of the love Heavenly Father has for me, the calm assurance that Heavenly Father brings while being in the middle of a hard situation (because believe me...I've had plenty), and the faith to rely on the "tools" in which The Lord has given us. The scriptures being one of those tools can certainly save a life, and knowing that with faith "light always overcomes darkness".

And that is so true!

This movie was amazing & tastefully portrayed. It will get anyone pumped for a mission, and you'll leave with a heart so big! 

They're probably going to show it until this Thursday at King of Prussia so I highly recommend finding the time to watch it. The drive is worth it folks! It was "awe-spiring"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment