REPLY

Monday, February 3, 2014

happy 70th to my mama.

^^ my mother at the age of 14 ^^
If my mother knew I was posting this photo of her I honestly don't know what she'd think. I'd hope she would laugh & say, "oh my goodness I was so little with a big smile, and curly hair!" Now you can see where I inherited my teeth & curly q's from.

Still...I couldn't let this day go by without wishing my mother a happy birthday! Today this beautiful lady turns the big "70"! It's hard to believe she's that age. Good genes obviously run in the family & at the age of 70 she is still in good health, has great hair, exercises, & wears a size 6 in which I hope to be at her age! She's looks good for her age (and knows it) & sadly lives too far away from us to join in and celebrate this wonderful milestone in her life. 

In spite of everything we've been through in our life as mother & daughter I will forever be grateful to her as to how she raised me. 

I'll always remember the good times I had with her when I turned elementary age when it was just the three of us. Roller skating with my sister on the sidewalks of the Pentecostal church across the street while she would stand & watch. Cutting my afro outside in the sunshine, and seeing the bushiness of my curls fly away into the air. Digging in the dirt while she planted chili peppers, observing her very carefully as she would wash clothes on the old washboard, & helping her hang clothes outside on the clothesline. 

I'll always remember that one Christmas where somehow at the age of six I'll always remember it being one of the happiest times in my life. I think of the times we spent at Dick Kleberg Park & eating mexican food at various Rays restaurants in Corpus Christi. I think of shopping with her at Bealls, Dillards & a little boutique called Charle Verde in Kingsville. While I was in my late teens I think of the time she took a trip to Florida (without me), but came back bearing gifts. And at the age of 20, I think of the time she barely made it to my baptism.

Those are the good memories I had with her & the ones that I'll always cherish. Reflecting on the good times that this woman made with me are the ones I want to keep. It's too bad that I don't have a lot of pictures of us together when I was little. I know she took a lot of Polaroids back in the day. Maybe they're tucked away somewhere without my knowledge. Luckily I have a few pictures of her with my kids so that they can see that they have a grandmother that no matter the distance loves them deeply. 
She was born in one of the most loveable months of the year & that makes me happy! Even though we are miles apart I try to call her every week just to utter these three words to her...I. Love. YouShe may not know how much I express my love to her online especially since she's so super old school, and doesn't own a computer. She hardly texts, and that's okay. I prefer to hear her voice. Maybe it's a good thing she doesn't know half the stuff I have written on this blog, but one day she will. Eventually this will all be printed in the form of a memoir according to Rose Jorgensen, but for now she will continue to get phone calls, and snail mail. She would say to me that is the best form of communication, and I would have to agree with her.

Happy Birthday to a mother who has been through so much in her life, and who was willing to give me life. Thank you for having me, but especially for keeping me! 

I love you to the moon, and all the way back down to the dirt I used to dig into. 

Happy Birthday mommy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment