REPLY

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Sorry Homecoming, But I Have Priorities.

When I asked Lexie when homecoming was she said she wasn't sure that she would check the date to make sure it didn't fall during women's session, or my birthday weekend. Sure enough it did, because homecoming was early this year., and I was pretty bummed for her. 


Bummed that she would miss her last senior homecoming dance, but happy that she made the choice to go to Boston with us to help out with Days For Girls service project, and attend women's session. I think I was more bummed than she was, but the look on her face showed me that homecoming wasn't a priority, and that missing it will be okay. Still, somehow I felt that deep down inside that sweet soul, and busy brain of hers that she would have liked to have gone, but she didn't mind. She reminded me of the time Sierra missed her junior prom due to a jazz band festival, and good thing she did because she won first prize as best outstanding pianist of the evening! I'm so grateful that my girls have their priorities in order when it comes to school. 

Since moving to this school district last fall I have seen Lexie exhausted from staying up until 2am writing essays, and doing homework. On her own motive without my decision, or asking me, "mom, which classes should I take?" she chose her school schedule for this year, and she packed it all in. Three AP classes. A full, head on schedule. She didn't mean to, but she is handling it. So far this marking period she has all A's, and continues to have a 4.0 GPA. She has begun to fill out paperwork for colleges, and once it's time to submit them next month she'll be ready. Ready in hopes that she will get accepted into a good college. She's doing these things all on her own without me having to get on her back! I am less stressed knowing that she has things pretty much in order, and that she has found a balance when it comes to school work, church, and extracurricular activities. 


Tennis has literally kept her on her toes, and in school until 6pm. For the rest of October she either has a game, or practice, and never misses. She loves the sport, and has realized that pleasing others, and the things that don't matter such as homecoming is okay. She loves her peers, and having fun and all, but will make time for them when life for her permits it! She constantly gets invited to concerts, among other things that fall on a weekday, and she just can't do it. I have advised all my kids in the past that it's okay to not attend every single, party, event, or "hang out." It's not that she doesn't want to, or that she's not being a "good friend" when she declines, it's the fact that she doesn't have time, and her priorities are different from others who don't have such a schedule. She's such a good sport in how she handles petty drama while balancing her life all at the same time. 


She is serious about her education, and her goal is to still get into the medical field. I continue to pray for her that her days will be guided with peace in the midst of being busy, and that she will continue to make time for herself on the days that she isn't. Spending time with us is something she loves, and the weekends are pretty much the only time she has even for us! There are times in the past when Lexie has missed outings even with us, and I don't get upset. Sierra was the same once she became a senior, and now Lexie is. The older they get, the busier they get, and then they move out to attend college, and soon it will be Lexie's turn. She is doing her best in choosing what's a priority so according to her missing homecoming with her friends in her last year of high school was okay! 


Happy Wednesday folks! Enjoy the cooler temperatures today!  




No comments:

Post a Comment