REPLY

Thursday, May 23, 2013

hendrickson park in woodbury.

History has always interested me ever since I took a trip to Goliad in the 7th grade. I still remember that trip as if it was yesterday. Riding on a crowded, bumpy bus full of noisy kids (i wasn't one of them) waiting to arrive to see everything that I had read in the history books in person. 

When I got into high school my love for history kind of went down hill. That is until I joined the LDS church in 1992. Genealogy caught my curiosity, and when I moved to the east coast I developed a major love for reading all about the civil war, and don't even get me started on D.C., Philly, and Boston. 

Those states truly exhibit their love for the red, white, and blue, and it shows when you drive into their city. There is show much history to learn, and read on how the pioneers lived on this side of the country. 

So in South Jersey there are a lot of old, old towns that were founded in the 1800's. Woodbury is one of them, and on this day I found out a little bit of history about this city. 

Last week we spontaneously took Noah to Hendrickson Park which is a park dedicated to Robert C. Hendrickson, and there are memorials of deceased policemen who were killed in the line of duty as well as veterans. 

We've always passed through this park back and forth from Blackwood to Woodbury, but have never gotten down to see what it's all about. I love parks like this where dedication is given to those who fought for country and died in doing so.

As soon as we parked and got out of the car I had a bit of a flashback. This place reminded me of our trip to Litchfield

There were a few benches to sit on, and a wide open space in which Noah can run around. 
This park is not really "a park." It is, but without the swings, and slide. There's also a beautiful memorial with names of World War II veterans.
It was so peaceful here, and I could tell Jon really needed some relaxation time with all the standing around he does at work. It was nice of him to have just laid down, and relaxed...that is until Noah got on top of him and began to jump on his back. Not sure if that was a good idea, but then again...Jon said his back felt a little bit better after Noah got off. 

Thank goodness for little feet that can heal any kind of aches his back may have been carrying. 
Oh...that thing he is holding is a paper towel roll in which I wrapped around with duck tape. I don't know what it is with little kids. They want you to keep the things that should be tossed straight into the recycling bin, and make some gadget out of it. The look on his face when I was about to throw it in the bin was too hard for me to handle. I couldn't recycle it. So I got some penguin looking duck tape, taped that sucker up, and when I was done I handed it to him. 

I told him it was a telescope.
And he treated it like one too! I spy....a flag! He loved it, and was sooooo happy!!
It was so nice for the three of us to relax with a picnic, and have Noah all to ourselves. He's such a sweet little boy who is so simple, and not picky as to where we take him when we venture outdoors.

Days like this when the sun is shining, eating a rice krispie treat, and seeing my little boy happy makes me happy. I pray for days like this every night so that I can wake up with a heart full of gratitude, and be selfless in the choices I make on a daily basis. 
I am so grateful to have had this day breathing, living, and in spending time with my two favorite boys.

With Memorial Day coming up it's nice to remember those who fought for our country, and to give thanks for all that they did. I am so glad we stopped by this park to become familiar with it.
We should be so lucky to continue to see our flags waving from beneath the sky.
So lucky.

What a lovely day it was in this part of Woodbury. 

No comments:

Post a Comment