REPLY

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Day I Met President Thomas S. Monson.

I woke up early this morning and received a text from my daughter who lives in Utah. The text read "President Monson passed away earlier tonight." President Monson is the third prophet I've known since joining the church back in 1992. The memories I have of President Howard Hunter, and President Gordon B. Hinckley are extra sweet, but there is something super special of the memories I have of President Monson, and I will always remember the first time I met him. 

The year was 1998 and Jon and I had just moved into Valley View ninth ward in a suburb of Utah in Holladay. When I first approached him I wasn't sure whether to call him brother Monson, or President Monson so every time I saw him I'd just say "hello, how are you!" For the two years we lived there we probably saw him about ten times. The times I saw him were always lively and cheerful, and was full of caring and service. He was so easy to talk to, always smiling, and very relatable. Sierra was almost three when we moved in, and too young to process the thought of having an apostle of the Lord in our church, but oh the memories I have of speaking Spanish with him the times I did see him, and shake his hand every time I saw him as well as giving him a hug every now and then will always be cherished in my heart. I only wish I appreciated him more as an apostle because at the time I knew him I was a young mom struggling in areas I never thought I would, but the more children I had, and the older I got my testimony of having a living prophet grew stronger. 

President Monson is the only apostle Chelsea and Noah have grown to know, and even though Noah is eight he knows what an important man he is was. When I broke the news to them this morning Chelsea was pretty sad, and Noah asked,"how did he die?" I said, "he was 90 years old, and his body just gave out." He then said, "he's with Jesus and Heavenly Father again?" I said, "yes, he sure is papa, and with his wife too!" Noah's little frown slowly turned into a smile after hearing that.

So grateful for the opportunity I had to witness his service in his home ward even if it was for a short time, and for the example he set for me to be a better wife, mother, and overall human being! He truly was a true prophet of the Lord, and look forward to general conference to see who the Lord calls next to be the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

There's also a beautiful tribute of him that you can watch here on lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment