REPLY

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Gifting Our Kids With Experiences Instead of Material Things.

Growing up I didn't have many Christmases which is probably why I spoiled my kids with gifts when they were toddlers but now that they are all older gifts are becoming less and less. I have reminded my kids that although the things of the world are nice and all, happiness with those things won't last forever, and the memory of them will eventually fade. I love the fact that we live in an area where we are surrounded by endless culture and history which is why I love going to the city and venturing out to various places in the east. The kids seem to remember moments spent together as opposed to what they got for Christmas last year, two years ago, or even five years ago.

But we have to be careful on how we spend that time together without stressing ourselves or our children out in filling up our schedule. Especially when December comes around. December is a very short month and because we have birthdays, school concerts, recitals, and our anniversary living in an area where there is so much to do can be tricky which can cause us to lose focus on the true meaning of the season. 

Each year as I grow older I have learned to not stress over the holidays. I have learned that it's not about the partying and presents. Listening to this talk recently (starting at 21:15) about not filling up our schedules with parties, and concerts, and everything that December brings brought more focus to my life with kids, and the Savior. A reminder to me of what JOY and CHRISTmas is all about. I have since realized that it's okay to not feel the need to give gifts to every family member. As much as I love to give I can't do it all the time. However, there are many who go without a Christmas and throughout the years I have taught my kids to serve, and give to others before we serve and gift ourselves. 
I love the light of the world giving machine which allows us to serve in that capacity. It's so important to teach our children what service really means and to give selflessly. When we do this we feel the joy, and love when we do. The light the world giving machine is a simple, yet meaningful way to give. 
Traditions such as tree picking, seeing Santa, eating at your favorite dessert place, and going to various pop up musuems to gift your kids are fun and all but make sure you don't pack eveything in one weekend! I love this time of year where we can follow up on said traditions without added stress. To just sit and chill out for once, and take in the joy of Christmas. I have to say that it feels good knowing that we don't need to feel the need to attend every single outing and see everything Christmas-y in the city, and although that is something we love to do it's okay to not see it all! New York and everything in the tristate area will always be there! There is so much to do where we live, and I am grateful for that. 
I love that the kids ask if we are going to drive and see some Christmas lights, and also see the lights at the temple in DC, and the tree at Rockefeller center instead of, "I want this, and can I have that." I laughed when Noah asked if he really needs to see three Santa's this year! He is getting older and seeing so many Santa's is unnecessary. He did ask if he can at least ask ONE Santa for two things and I said, "of course it's ok." I know I will cave and that "Santa" will gift my kids at least one gift, but overall taking them out to experience places and things are better than any material gift. But most of all, the spirit of giving in the simplest ways is what's more important. 
We have already eliminated a few commitments that we usually do during the Christmas season. Jon and I are getting up there in age, and as much as I love being a fun mom and venturing out to some of the funnest places it's okay to miss that one party this year. That one concert or show in the city. That one Santa. That one art installation and pop up museum. That one gathering at work or a friend's place to do a gift exchange. 
What's most important is to find the joy in every moment we spend together, to simplify Christmas by focusing on His presence, and not on too many presents, and to feel the spirit of the Christmas season!  

No comments:

Post a Comment