REPLY

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

potty training...for real this time.

For the past year I have been asking Noah time and time, and again "you need to start using the potty." He'll look at me with a huge smile, and just laugh. Sometimes he'll give me a tight hug, and with a few giggles say "no"! I let it go, and continue on with the day. He is spoiled, and I know I shouldn't just let it go. I really don't want to be mean about it, but I do need to be serious, and not give in to that sweet face of his. He knows that he should be using the potty. He knows what it is, and when he hears any of us pass gas he'll say to me, "mommy, you need to go potty." So he definitely knows the whole concept of poop, potty, in the toilet, underwear, "diapers are for babies" is. He will be four in six months, and I am pretty much at my wits end with this diaper changing on a three and half year old.

And here's why...

I'm tired of changing them! His poop reeks like an adult, and sometimes they are the smallest rabbit looking pellets. 

I'm tired of buying them! I know that I can be saving a ton of money if he was just potty trained! 

I'm tired of him always pooping in a fresh diaper. Every morning when he wakes up he waits for me to change him, he'll eat breakfast wearing a clean diaper, and then will almost immediately poop right after he's done. I know his routine now, and I am going to take advantage of that.

So I have decided to seriously start potty training Noah this week. He has a few of these anchor diapers left which I'll miss dearly, but it's time to say bye to them for now. I mentioned potty training him when spring came along, and well...spring is here. 
Our house gets super cold throughout the winter months, and I didn't want him running around in plain underwear freezing to death. Now that the weather is warmer I think it's seriously time to tackle the potty training.

Some of you may be asking "why isn't he potty trained yet?" Well... call me lazy, impatient, uncaring, whatever. The fact that he's my only boy, and possibly my last child I wanted to enjoy him being a baby still. I also didn't want to force the issue on him, and I've had a few people tell me that he will go when he's ready. 

I believe he's ready.

I am so glad that he has shown signs of readiness because it was starting to weigh me down. All my girls were easy to train, and pretty much learned on their own. So glad he only frowned a bit when he put his underwear on

He said, "I want my diapers" one time, and then I proceeded to show him pictures of kids his age on the internet going potty, and this nice potty seat that we're going to get for him. His demeanor changed, and now he's having fun playing with his toys in the living room wearing his cute underwear as I blog. 

I know there will be resistance along this journey, and the ongoing question of, "do you need to go potty?", but we're ready for it. 

I know consistency is key, and now that the focus is off of Sierra now that she is all set up for college, I can now focus on putting my full attention on potty training Noah. 

I hope this is it! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think he'll do great! I do not think 3 1/2 is too old for a child to still be in diapers. Every child is different. My boys potty trained at around 2 1/2, but my daughter was not ready until 3 1/2. Life is just easier when you wait until they are ready and willing to be an active participant... especially when the issue is something as important as pooping in the potty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your absolutely right, and I thank you for your advice. Every child is different. He had a lot 3 accidents yesterday, but overall did pretty good. Thanks for telling me that 3 and a half is not old to be in diapers. They do have them up into a size 5, but don't want to buy them at that age!! He'll get it eventually, and all will be well.

      Again, I appreciate your comment!

      Take care Katie!

      Delete