REPLY

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

remembering the pioneers.

One of the main reasons why we go to Palmyra every year is to remember. To remember where the mormon church all started, and the sacrifices that our pioneers went through knowing that they would be faced with all kinds of adversity. 

I know I wrote a little bit about the pageant and why going to the Peter Whitmer farm in Fayette, New York this year seemed "different" this time around. 
Is it because I'm getting older? Is it because my girls are getting older? Is it because the world is changing, and so much negativity is changing with it? Or is it the mere fact that I'm appreciating it more and more because of the choices I make when it comes to living the life of a mormon. 

I'd say all of the above.  

I get a little homesick this time of year because of Pioneer Day. I really appreciate the history of the mormon church, and all that our pioneers went through in order for us to be here today. That's why we celebrate the 24th...to remember them, and our heritage. If you've ever experienced going on a trek like Sierra did six years go you'll have a lot of appreciation of all the trials and hardships the "real" pioneers endured while on their journey in finding their way home. 

When my mother in law told me years ago that our girls are of "mormon royalty" we all thought that was awesome. The fact that I wasn't raised in the church and finding out that our girls are "royal" in a religious sense is pretty cool. If we were living in Utah right now they could have the opportunity to be riding on a float in a parade wearing a crown. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but when you live in Utah to some of us it is a pretty big deal! 

In this movie there is one scene where a girl is riding on a float and it kind of shows you a little bit about pioneer day. It's also a "mormon thriller" in a good sense, and a pretty good movie. 

Living on the east for the past seven years has really helped me appreciate what I left behind in Utah. 

Family, great friends, dozens of temples, real mountains, the best snow on earth, the conference center, and the 24th of July. Even though we are 3000 miles away from so much convenience that the church has to offer I am grateful that there are temples on the east coast, and a lot of history of the church. 

It seems to me that there is so much more history here in the east than anywhere else because it all started in Fayette, New York. They settled out west in Salt Lake City, and I am blessed to have started my life in Utah after joining the church because I learned so much about my heritage, and myself as a person. 

I guess you can say I've experienced the best of both worlds, and what makes me extremely grateful is the fact that no matter where I live there is a temple, and a church where I can continue to worship. 

Living close (six hours is close to me!) to Palmyra is a huge bonus for our family. It truly does change your life in a spiritual sense whether your a member of the church or not! 

Happy Pioneer Day everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment