REPLY

Monday, July 29, 2013

a new york post.

This past Friday we pounded the hard concrete on the streets of New York walking at least 50 blocks (or more) all around Manhattans upper west side. Luckily for Noah he was in his stroller sitting comfortably taking in all the action. At times he wanted to get on papas shoulders for a better view, but for the most part sat in his stroller giving papa a break.

Going to the Rain Room wasn't his cup of tea, but he did love all the colors of the art at the MOMA. Venturing out onto the streets of New York no matter how crowded, busy, or smelly is something our kids love, and writing about it gives me great pleasure for the mere fact that this is one city I really appreciate, and LOVE.

Although I love the peace, stillness, blue skies that semi small cities brings, I long for the adrenaline, and inspiration that any city can give. Coming from a small town in Texas, and moving to Salt Lake City 21 years ago helped me realize that there's more to life than small towns. 

I wanted more.

Salt Lake City (compared to Corpus Christi and Kingsville it's big), and San Antonio taught me how city life is to be lived. Numerous trips to Seattle, Portland, and Las Vegas also prepared me to what  I would expect in an even busier city. 

Having lived in the outskirts of North Carolina for two years slowed me down a bit (good thing Raleigh was just 70 minutes away), and I was okay with that, but we still did those five hour drives to D.C. as well as adding an extra two hours driving to New York City.

Living in New Jersey has spoiled us in so many ways, and it has really grown on us. Although I wrote about moving to New England we will always have room for the city. We love it, and I'll never grow weary of it.

This day brought us more adventures as we walked the streets of New York, and this is what our day looked like...

We went to Madison Square Park where Noah swung on a green tire swing, and made new friends. We then hung out and ate at our favorite burger place.
My city boy.
The new art installation looked pretty cool, and adds a lot of character to the park. At first I wondered what the heck it was and then I read about the artist, and I was impressed at how she weaved and painted this rope in large sections by hand! It looks like this work of art will be here until Labor day, and then it'll be reimagined & reshaped, and moved to the city of Boston. 
I stayed behind taking all of these photos on my own while my family was ahead of me. They were waiting for me at a corner stoplight when all of a sudden it turned red, and like a true new yorker just walked on through.

I saw my husband laughing as I was walking towards him, and asked him why he was laughing. He said, "you're so New York just walking through the red light."  I just laughed!


Love the sight of yellow cabs, Rockefeller Center, and I got to have me some roasted almonds! 
The inner child in me quickly pulls me towards FAO Schwartz, and the kids get very excited when we come here. It's always interesting to see what's new in the store, and any changes that come with it.

As soon as we walked in the store we saw a huge minion, a gorilla, and Chelsea spotted two of her Wonka favorites. 
And her favorite...playing on the big piano with her feet. Her sisters will be jealous! 
We spent our entire day here, and to tell you the truth I didn't really want to go home. No matter how many times I've been to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Flat Iron District, Greenwich Village, Soho,  Midtown, any New York neighborhood it never gets old. 

Five years of living an hour and twenty minutes away from here keeps us spoiled and wanting to return as often as we can. There's always Philly which is a 20 minute drive across the bridge, but New York has, and will always have my heart. 

We had way too much fun, but know we can always come back. 

I was joking with my husband about moving here, and he was like, "Umm, I'd have to be making quite a bit of money to live in a decent part of the city."
True, but who knows...Hoboken is always a possibility, and we'll still be in the state of Jersey! Hey...there's always Brooklyn! Just another dream thought I suppose! Sure loved our days spent in Brooklyn when we visited here, here, and here

Even if we never live in the city I'll always be grateful to be living so close to a magical one, and will take advantage of going every chance we get! 

Christmas in the city can't come soon enough...I still want to enjoy the rest of the summer, and fall though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment