REPLY

Monday, March 17, 2014

a snowy st. paddy's day & snippets about our weekend

Let's be honest...after enjoying a beautiful weekend of sunshine I am soooooooo over this snow, and the fact that I have two sick kids doesn't do well for me! Well, kind of. I love that the snow makes my community so peaceful, and still without cars speeding down my 25 mph narrow road, but with Spring officially arriving in three days I would love for it to be over, and done with. 
I also didn't mind the two hour delay we had for school this morning, but let's be real...

I want to wake and hear birds chirping, see flowers in bloom, and watch my neighbors hydrangeas blooming (wish I had a hydrangea bush.) I want my kids to be able to play outside, chalk the heck out of our driveway, walk on an unsnowy bike trail, and catch fireflies. That's my personal favorite. I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, bask in it, and pull out the little blue pool per Noah's pleasure.

Like I said...the weather this past weekend was absolutely beautiful, and we took advantage of it. I remind myself how lucky I am to live in a place where we have the change of season, and that winter is always temporary (thank goodness for the life I once lived in Utah!)

*****

Driving down to D.C. to much warmer temperatures was bliss. It felt so good to drive with the windows rolled down. It was a beautiful day having gone to the temple again, but there was something amiss...one of my children. Actually two. Every time we've gone to the temple in D.C. we've never gone alone. We've always taken the kids. The car is never quiet, but on this trip it was. Jon, and I had a peaceful ride, but it was something that we are just not used to. It felt really weird. We left Chelsea behind with a friend due to being sick, and well as most of y'all know Sierra is out west going to school. 

Nonetheless we arrived and enjoyed a beautiful session at the temple

I wasn't going to write this, but feel as if i should share this unique experience with you. It may seem small to you, but it was a big deal for me. There are times when I have gone to the temple, sat down, and not really observed my fellow brothers and sisters. This time as we were waiting for the session to begin I did. I would turn back and smile at each couple or individual that would enter in. This company that I was surrounded with seemed very bonded, but yet didn't know each other from Adam. It was as if every single person that was there knew each other from before, and came in with a heavy heart in hopes to have a prayer answered. We felt the spirit so strong, and this was one session where everyone was smiling at each other. We went late in the day, and probably had about 20 members in our session. It was great. 

*****

Whether we eat before or after going to the temple I always make sure that my belly is on empty so that we can experience a hearty lunch. If I could live on Capitol Hill I would. There are so many delicious restaurants to choose from. Being raised with Whataburger which is based in Corpus Christi, Texas has caused me to become this huge burger connoisseur. Having lived in various states with so many burger joints I can't help but to test every one out, and so far there have been some pretty good burger joints out here in the east. 
One burger joint that has made it to the top of my list is Good Stuff Eatery. Oh. my. goodness! These burgers are just as it reads...good stuff. It's right next door to one of the yummiest pizza joints on Capitol Hill.

We were lucky to get a table inside which is very rare, and even though the line was long, we managed to get our food at a decent pace. We all had a good time, but still felt as if something was off...Chelsea was not with us. She is "the life of the party", and even though she pesters her brother and sister she truly brings a lot of fun to our family. 

I really don't think we are going to leave our baby girl behind ever again...especially when we go to the temple. When we picked her up she said to us that she really missed us, and wished we'd taken her. You'd think that kids may find the temple boring after a two hour drive especially since they can't go inside, but not our kids. They love the visitors center, walking to the book store, and ever since they discovered a nearby park, Lexie loves taking Noah & Chelsea to release their energy. Our kids have a little routine of their own every time we come here, and if makes me feel less guilty as I'm entering inside the temple knowing that they are making their own 'spiritual & temporal' fun. 
^^^ selfie in front of the temple doors ^^^
The temple is about family, and even though they may not be allowed to enter inside until they're 12 they sure seem to have an understanding as to what it's all about. I feel that it's important to always bring the kids with us to the temple. They will learn to appreciate it, and eventually get in the habit of going once it is their turn. We have been taking our kids on temple trips since we got sealed as a family, and we have never left them behind until now. I cannot wait until it is their time to enter inside the temple, but for now I hope that they will enjoy all the temple trips we take in hopes that when it's their turn they will enter in with a firm testimony of their own, an open heart, and a mind willing to take in all that is willing to help them spiritually. 
^^^ Mandatory picture of my two favorite boys. Didn't realize that they were both wearing green neck & bow ties. ^^^
 Happy St. Paddy's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment