REPLY

Monday, March 10, 2014

Technology is a miracle...especially when you have a daughter away at college.

As each day goes by with three kids keeping me busy, and entertained having Sierra away at college gets easier and easier...with time. I miss her, and there are so many times I wish she was here with us to join in on the fun when we go on road trips, long drives, watching movies together, and our late night talks. I especially miss her playing me some Muse, and Downton Abbey on the piano, but I know that she is where she needs to be. 

I know for a fact that she loves being surrounded by mountains, having fun going to school, shopping with grandma & Aunt Emily, playing with cousins, eating at In and Out Burger (jelly), finally working to learn more responsibility, and without talking too much about her personal life (that's what her personal blog is for)...having a boyfriend. Wait...did I just say the B word? Boyfriend! And I'm okay with it? Wow! Seriously though...I look back on the day she asked her father and I if she could have a relationship with a boy so she could experience how it would feel like to have a boyfriend. Her dad and I were like, "what cliff did you fall off from, and why do you feel you must have a boyfriend?" There is absolutely nothing that states in the For the Strength of Youth handbook that indicates, "Must experience an exclusive relationship with the opposite sex." I don't think so. After learning how kids should start to date at the age of 16, I personally feel that kids under the age of 18 should not have any serious relationships. None. Nada. Why you may ask? Because at the age of 12, 14, 16, & even 18 they are way too young to experience such motions in which they may not be ready to handle. Relationships are tough especially at such a young age. Gosh...I wish I would have known all about the double dating rule at 16, and in not having serious relationships in high school back in my day. It could have saved me a lot of heartache, but I would never take anything back. Anything! Everything that I endured, and learned about boys, partying, and all that other dumb stuff in my teen years has made me the strong woman, and mother I am today. Especially when it comes to raising daughters. 

This is when technology is a miracle, and the social media guard is not needed! haha! We read scriptures as a family via Skype the other day, and have decided to trrrryyyyyy to do that on the days she's not working or not too busy with homework, (or Nicholas). It'll be challenge being that there's a two hour difference between us, but we'll certainly try to keep her included. 
^^^ skyping rules ^^^
^^^ FaceTime is a miracle! ^^^
Skyping with Sierra the other day was bliss, and she's definitely maturing. Kids nowadays need to go through some pretty rough patches in order to learn lessons, and grow both mentally and spiritually. I would never wish any of my kids to experience the hurt, and heartache I went through at a young age, but if the Lord puts anything in their path that is hard in order for them to learn, and grow from...so be it. I know from experience that going through some rough patches helps us to become firm, and strong in our testimony with God, and makes us a better person.

I know that Sierra is in good hands living with her grandparents in Utah, and having met Nicholas (the boyfriend) has really helped her in understanding everything that she has learned since the new year began. I'm telling you...there are certain returned missionaries out there who really are mature, and Nicholas sounds like good people to me. Funny thing though...he told Sierra that he is actually learning a lot from her, and she is three years younger than him! 

I am so grateful that she is in such good hands right now. She has been blessed with great things...being closer to family, a job, attending college, great friends that remembered her since she was eight. She's pretty lucky, and so is everyone who gets to meet her. Like I said before... if you didn't get to know her while she was living in Jersey, or gave her a chance in friendship you missed out.
^^^ photo via Sierra's instagram ^^^
What a gal...I sure am proud of her, and all the choices she has made in order for her to find her place in this world. 

We love and miss you Sierra! xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment