REPLY

Monday, March 3, 2014

Son of God: Reasons why I love movies about the Savior.

Ever since I was a little girl I remember my mother practically forcing my sister and I to sit down & watch The Ten Commandments with the iconic Charleston Heston. As if watching this movie from 1956 was going to teach us some kind of lesson, and help us grow spiritually. Funny thing is that I actually found that movie very interesting & inspiring. Growing up as a catholic I remembered having to memorize all sorts of prayers including the ten commandments. Now that I am older I have learned that there are more than just ten. Today...I thank my mom for all the times she would have us sit in front of the tv every time that movie would air during Easter weekend.

My love for Jesus grew as my mother tried her best to keep us on the right path. I developed a strong love for Jesus, and every time there was a movie airing about him I was always eager to watch it...without force. As I entered the double digits, and endured the trials I faced throughout my childhood I began searching for that light of Christ that I once remembered as a seven year old girl. I wanted to encounter and investigate every single church that worshipped the Lord. That was the beginning of humbling myself as a tween hoping that by going to church, and learning more about the Lord just as I did about Moses in the ten commandments would somehow help me, and those who were hurting me both physically & emotionally. The difference then is that when I was a small child I had my eyes wide open, and a mind that was willing to be focused on learning more about Jesus...specifically to save me through my trying times. 

For some of us it's a lot different when we get older. Some of us drift away, and take for granted the things that are taught to us by our parents about God. Then there are those who have gone through so much crap in their life that we are eager, and willing to "find ourselves" and seek that light of happiness. 

I eventually chose the latter...at the age of 16.

As I reached my teens I was still feeling lost, and afraid. Wondering why people were so mean to me. I wondered sometimes what I did to deserve such hateful treatment. I never wanted to blame my childhood as to why I did the things I did, but as hard as it was seeing some of my friends treating me so harsh I couldn't comprehend, and I wanted to die. Then again...I'm a girl. And sometimes girls at the age of 16 have a boyfriend. And with boyfriends at a young age comes heartache and drama. And with drama comes heartache, and with heartache comes severed friendships and relationships with both guys and girls.

Now that I am older with a family of my own raising four children of which two are teenage girls I am wiser in the advice I give them. The fact that they are being raised with a foundation of God helps me to become strong, and I am not afraid anymore. Reading this lovely post today written from my oldest daughter tells me that I did something right. And even though she had to learn things for herself on her own motive...she is on the right path to having eternal life.

I love sharing my thoughts, feelings, and beliefs. I am forgiving, kind, and love anyone who has ever harmed me in my past, last year, yesterday & today. It is not my place to judge but God's. The fact that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints puts me at ease knowing that I have the truthfulness of the gospel to share with others, and that puts a huge smile on my face. I chose to follow Christ, be baptized, and to remember my sins no more. That's what He wanted me to do. That's what He wants all of us to do.

Watching the Son of God this past weekend three times was humbling, and like attending the temple gave me an extra boost of energy knowing that I can always do good. I practically sobbed throughout the entire movie all the while saying to myself, I want to be just like Him. I want to turn the other cheek when someone says something hurtful, or rude. I want to have his patience, his courage, his faith, his deep, deep unconditional love. I want to have his sincerity, and obedience in always doing good. Not cursing, thinking evil thoughts, or saying anything inappropriate to anyone.  I personally felt the spirit knowing that each day I have a choice to be like Him, and I can. And although I think I'm pretty close to being like Him...I am sooooo far from it. 
Everything about him is so perfect. I cried when he spared the adulteress in being stoned to death. I cried when Judah betrayed him. I cried when Peter denied him three times after he was sentenced to death. I cried when Jesus Christ walked up a steep hill holding the cross while being whipped after he already had been given 40 lashes. His perseverance, and the strength that he had was amazing. And when he said, "With God all things are possible" I cried even more, because that sentiment is so true. His heart was filled with the most unconditional love you can ever imagine, and the fact that he had such a forgiving heart to those that betrayed him helps me even more to always, always love, forgive, and strive to sin no more.
There was not one dry eye in the audience and people clapping their hands at the end of the movie was proof enough that this movie was beautifully, and eloquently done. Proof enough that even though those that saw this movie will walk out as imperfect as I am hopefully knowing that we can change, will start now to follow Christ's teachings, and do better.
And so today I move forward. Each day is a new day. A chance for a do-over. A chance to do better today than I did yesterday. I will strive to be forever on that path. Striving and seeking the good in many ways. Striving to choose good over evil. 
I love watching anything about the history of the world, current events, but most of all the Savior and his apostles. My life has changed immensely because of Him. I am not a perfect person, nor will I ever be, but reading about what Jesus went through in order for me to experience this thing called "life" gives me the courage to follow him in righteousness, and fight the adversary.
After all... "He is the way, the truth, and the life."

**all photos via google.

No comments:

Post a Comment