REPLY

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Hiking The Stairway To Heaven-Appalachian Trail.

This past weekend we did something as a family that we haven't done in years. That I haven't done in years. Hiking! We hiked the stairway to heaven which is 7.3 miles total and hiking it together especially at my age was brutal, and it's a miracle that none of us were seriously hurting the next day. Good thing we weren't because Lexie was giving a talk at church and we certainly didn't want to miss that! One thing for sure is that after we were done which felt like an eternity felt good, and I mean really good!!! Although exhausted with calves burning I felt rejuvenated, and man did I sleep like a baby that night! 

The Stairway to Heaven is indeed one of the best trails that I have been to so far in Jersey. I wouldn't hike it with a baby or kids under the age of six, but Noah persevered, and we made it all the way to the top. We started at the boardwalk in Pochuck valley which is a beautiful sight where you end up crossing a suspension bridge, train tracks, a cow pasture, a boulder field, and fields of wildflowers. We passed all this before reaching the stairway to heaven that entailed hiking up a series of rock slab steps steeply switchbacking up Wawayanda Mountain. These rocks are huge which is why I personally wouldn't bring a baby. I thought to myself, there is no way I could hike this with Noah as a baby! If you ever hike it you'll see why! 
Although Noah complained at first saying, "are we done yet", or "how much further to the top" they stopped and began enjoying the scenery. I think "mind over matter" took over, and since Chelsea is going to girls camp next week motivated her to hike all the way up. Noah was just having fun playing with rocks trying not to fall or twist his ankle! I'm so glad Lexie was with us. While at college she walked two miles each day to and from campus and because of all the walking she did was a pro at this hiking thing. 
I captured a few moments here and there as we hiked, and although I already posted some of the pics on my Instagram I'll add a bit more. 
I have to admit the boardwalk was my favorite part of the hike and I think it was the kids too. My endurance isn't like it was in my 20's or 30's, but reaching 50 is helping me realize that i need to exercise more, and get into shape! 

We were prepared, and we had all the essentials that were needed to have made this hike successful, and we had a blast! I'm not sure I would climb the stairway to heaven again, but I would definitely hike the boardwalk again which is only 3 miles! It was a great family outing that gave our minds a boost! 

No comments:

Post a Comment