REPLY

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Baby Story

^^^ The day of Sierra's blessing, circa-1996. ^^^
Behind every picture is a story. Today Sierra turns 16 and I would like to share a story about bringing her into this world. A few weeks ago I went to Costco to pick up my old negatives that were converted into a CD. As I was loading the CD into iphoto yesterday I happened to stumble upon this picture. 

It was Sierra's blessing day when she was three months old. I honestly cannot remember this picture being taken. The first year of motherhood wasn't easy for me. Sierra was born weighing four pounds and two and a half ounces. She was a couple of weeks early. I can't give you the exact number of days as to how early. All I remember is eating pizza, laying down and my water breaking at about 9pm. We were carless at the time and ended up having to call my father in-law who lived 15 minutes away to take us to the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City where I was to deliver.

That evening I did remember.

I remember it very well because I gave birth to her in under ten minutes without any drugs or ivy's. I had her completely natural with only seven hours of labor.

Although I was 23, I was nervous being that this was my first pregnancy and first child. I didn't know what to expect. We went to ONE lamaze class and couldn't go consistently because we lacked a vehicle. During my pregnancy I had preeclampsia and had to be on bed rest for the last month of my pregnancy. I had to be brave and strong because at the time, I felt as if the only support I had was that of my husband. All my family was in Texas and I didn't want to bother his family too much.

Sierra didn't have any major health issues when she was born. She had a bit of jaundice and was under the billi lights for two days. She had trouble nursing and had to be fed with a tube. I hated when the nurse would shove that tube down her throat. Having seen the nurse do that was a motivator for me to get better at nursing and to not give up so we could get her out of there. We were able to take her home within 48 hours and I was a happy, yet exhausted mommy. I sometimes wonder if I repressed a lot of memories of Sierra because of all the stress I endured during, and after my pregnancy. I don't have too many pictures of her as a baby under eight months old. We didn't have a nice camera that captured good photos. I'm surprised to have found this photo. She sure does look tired in this picture (so do I!) I'm sure it was an exhausting day for both of us. Sierra looked at this photo and couldn't believe it was her. She said she looks totally different (so do I!) I explained to her the events of that day and she was sympathetic. I told her that she is special and that all those sleepless nights nursing a four pound baby was worth it. I told her that I only had planned on nursing her for about three to six months...I nursed her for TWO YEARS. She had a huge smile after I mentioned that.

When I found this other photo of her on this couch my mind became clearer. I recalled taking this picture of her sitting in the center of the couch. My mother-in-law made her blessing dress. Her sister Lexie wore the same dress when she was born. I still have it and I am saving it for when Sierra has her first child. Here she is smiling and looking more alert. You can see that she takes after me with her olive skin color.
I can't stop looking at these photos. Maybe it's because I couldn't remember them right away. You'd think that you would remember every picture being taken of your firstborn. I do have a few photos of her being born in the hospital. Those I do remember. I hope I'm not the only mom out there who had a bit of a memory loss. Then again I didn't start scrap booking her life until she was about five. I had to compile five years of her life full of pictures that I put into photo albums, and get all the essentials needed in order to scrap book, i.e., glue sticks, pretty card stock and scrapbook paper. I developed that talent right away. It took me about five minutes to finish a page. Now that I have a blog, I am blogging about her life. Which makes it a bit easier... if you like to write.


It seems as if these pictures were taken yesterday. I remember when it was just the three of us.
Backyard of grandma & grandpa's house
Austin, TX-1999
Salt Lake City, Utah -1998
Once we got a better camera I began going crazy taking pictures of Sierra. I always told Jon to take our picture everywhere we went and everything she did. I LOVED IT!
HALLOWEEN-1997
HALLOWEEN 1999
Our first trip to New York City-2000
Salt Lake City-circa, 1997
Raising her for the past sixteen years has been fairly easy. She truly is a wonderful daughter. Seriously...she is. She doesn't cause me any stress at all. She is strong in her moral values in respecting herself and others. She is thoughtful, selfless, a bright student, and loves her family very much. I know that others see the light in her and how she carries herself on a daily basis. She has the potential to move mountains and put a smile on a face that has a frown. I know I owe it all to my Heavenly Father. He blessed me with a beautiful baby that was meant to be born at the right time. I feel extremely blessed to have her in my life. I am very impressed in the way that she carries herself. I will always treasure the memories of her then, and now.
 TIMES SQUARE-2010
Happy Sweet Sixteen Sierra...you deserve the best today and always!!

No comments:

Post a Comment