REPLY

Friday, September 13, 2019

Finding The Light In My Mom's Journey.

This will most likely be the final post from our recent trip to Texas. Had to save the best one for last because it's my momma. It is always hard to leave the ones you love who live so far away. I’m grateful for the time I got to spend with my mom this past summer. Even if it was just for a few days. I got to spend 72 hours with her. And in those 72 hours witnessed a lot of forgetfulness in her. Although the doctors have yet to diagnose her with any stage of dementia or Alzheimer’s it’s inevitable. She’s exhibiting the signs, but still has memory left. Memory left for her to remember who we are. Memory left for who she is. Where she is. When she’s hungry. What tv shows are her favorite, and the things she loves.


Sno-cones & ice cream are a favorite of hers and we shared one with her. The kids laughed with her every time she said something funny. She can be a comic at times, and that is one thing I hope doesn't go away too soon. 

There were times when she constantly repeated the same questions to me over & over again when I was with her I didn’t mind. It didn’t really bother me too much, but instead of letting it get the best of me, I'd respond with a smile, and just answer her again. I am still amazed at what the spirit of The Lord can give you at times like this and for me it was patience and unconditional love. The guiding hand of God is true folks! 
In those few days I was also taught to find the “light” & positivity of her situation. To not grow impatient with her or get annoyed. To not think the worst of her condition but instead to have compassion & understanding. To let her know that she’s safe and has what she needs at that moment. Patience is required, but TIME and LOVE is what’s most important. And I wish I had more time to spend with her. 
The day before we left we managed to get her outside and take her to the place she loves the most. The ocean. She loves the ocean air and as much as doesn't mind wind she hates the fact that it blows her hair all over the place! I also have no idea why Jon is laughing in this photo, but it's a good one! 

I captured a few moments with her and my kids and it was beautiful. Just like her. She's always had a beauty to her, and I am so happy that she enjoyed herself on this day. She sure does love little Noah. 
Adding in a bit of history in this post about the USS Lexington since it's now based in Corpus. The boys managed to go to the museum and I captured a couple of photos. It's just as I remembered when it was stationed in Pensacola back in the 90's. Same huge ship! 

As we were leaving and exchanging hugs my mom cried saying, “you’re too far away.” As she hugged Jon she told him, “you’re a good man & thank you for taking care of my daughter & the kids.” It brought tears to all of our eyes. My response was, “in time things will change, but no matter the distance we are always here for you, & hope to be closer in distance in the future.” 
Time will tell and we will see what the future brings for my momma. For now she's on her own living in her little apartment doing the best she can to take care of herself, and I am most grateful for her to have a caregiver by her side to help her with her needs everyday. She has also made a few friends in the place she lives. Being a "long distance caregiver" via phone is not easy. I call her as much as I can. We write to her every week. She has her good days and bad days and when I call her on a bad day she's always uplifted. For the moment that's all I can do and hope to do more for her in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment