REPLY

Monday, June 29, 2020

Lexie Lately: 100 Days of Quarantine As A Mission, Four Months As A Missionary But Technically Six Weeks In The Field!

Reading Lexie's emails sparks so many thoughts in my head and because she is my daughter can't help but to wish I can help her somehow. I know I can pray, but sometimes we need so much more than that. And one thing that has helped me is having faith. And I know that hanging on to faith is what helps her. If you read her emails you'll understand why I am writing this.

I know that we all lead busy lives right now whether we work from home or not but for those of us who know all about the missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ and what they do I plead with you to please make time for them.

Make time to return their phone calls and texts. Make time to have a zoom meeting with them so they can get to know you. They literally ask about 15-20 minutes of your time. Make time to drop them off dinner. I know that being a missionary during a pandemic is not easy. I know this because I have a daughter who has been in the field for six weeks. I hear it in her voice when she tells me how nobody really wants to talk to them and these are people from their congregation. These missionaries are serving for a purpose and right now at least for the next two years will be away from their families. In unfamiliar territory. With new neighbors. New faces. And no time to go outside to galavant and run into people to say “hello” and share the gospel. And because we have new missionaries constantly transferring and moving about it is important for them to get to know us and vice versa. We don’t have church services yet in the east coast so in my eyes it’s crucial to invite them in your heart and chat with them via social media. Technology is the best thing right now and it’s pretty much the only way to see their face! And if you can’t make time for them at least have the common courtesy to text them back. Let’s do our best to make room for them in our life because right now they are trying to make room for us.
What if it was your son, daughter, nephew, niece, or grandkid on their mission. You’d want them to be acknowledged correct? You’d want them to know that they are loved and not forgotten right? All they want to do is chat to get to know you and share a spiritual thought. And right now with everything that is going on in the world, we certainly can hear it!


2 comments:

  1. Love this!! I’m sitting here trying to find some light at the end of a never ending tunnel and it was so nice to read this! My son has been out 5 weeks and has discouraging after discouraging days. Lock down, then no church, now quarantine from another missionary testing positive for covid! He wants to come home and i can’t blame him! The members are tired of them contacting them every other week...it’s just so sad! So anyways, thank you for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry but I'm now just replying. I feel blogs are becoming obsolete and don't think no one replies as much and then I see this comment! thank you for that! I hope that your son is doing better and finding the best way to stay strong and serve in his mission. These missionaries who are serving today are truly amazing. they are enduring things that missionaries from five, 10, 20 or even 30 years ago never experienced. It truly is humbling to see how much my daughter is hanging in there and finding ways to be creative being that they are quarantined again! Arizona has a lot of cases and her mission pres. and half her zone have cover! Luckily she's in the other half of the zone and has been tested like three times and so far has been spared! Praying she'll stay cover-free until the end of her mission! They do have church still so that's good for them. Hopefully members will reach out to your son's mission more. Lexie has had success with her mission now. She looks at the positive side of things in her mission. Praying that your son is better and working hard to serve The Lord. He and your family will be blessed! Even when things get tough, God will help us get through them because our kids are serving. I know that to be true and feel it because there are days that are dark and I just find a way to find the light throughout my days! God bless you Tori and thanks again for reaching out and commenting! xo

      Delete