REPLY

Monday, June 8, 2020

Black Lives Matter - Protest In New York City.

About a week ago a woman walking her dog in Central Park called the cops on a man who kindly asked her to put her dog on a leash. Apparently this particular area of Central Park states leash your dog at all times but people don't listen these days. She resisted and for no reason used a microaggression in the most insidious form. She called the police and said an African-american man was threatening her and her dog. She had no reason to do this. She kept repeating this to the police and because this man was savvy and smart quelled her attitude and began to record her. Her racist actions made headlines. When I read about the young man who she called the cops on seemed very educated. An avid bird watcher. Someone who was just minding his own business and in a polite manner asked this woman to put her dog on a leash.

On the same day another black man named George Floyd was murdered by a policeman in Minneapolis. Apparently he was trying to use a counterfeit bill at a store and someone made a call and reported it. I'm not sure of all the details but without looking at his background and color his murder was horrifying! The harrowing eight minute video which felt like an eternity brought me to tears. The passion I have for my Black friends is so deep. I was so disgusted with what happened and at that moment, my husband who is white felt so ashamed to be white. But this happened. It really happened. He was begging for air. "I can't breath." And in the last minutes of his life he was calling out for his mother. His murder sparked outrage all over the world which led to a number of protests. Riots, and looting soon followed all over the country. Covid wasn't the only killer now. Especially in the city that we love. But it is happening. Protests are happening and I have never been alive to witness such a thing. But now we are. And we joined in to march for George Floyd and every other person who has died under the hands of police brutality.    

This is for all my black and brown friends, for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and anyone who has died under the hands of racist officers. THIS. This is for anyone who has ever felt discriminated against for any reason. I know how it feels to be discriminated against but I can never imagine the fear you have to live with on a daily basis. Especially when y’all get pulled over by the cops. Just know that I will always fight for you, and defend you. Things are slowly changing and I’m so grateful that my two youngest kids marched for you and were able to witness this powerful, yet historical moment! 

Here are a few moments from the peaceful protest we went to this past Saturday as well as a snippet of it on my tiktok if you'd like to see. It was inspiring and uplifted me in ways that were profound, and in spite of the rain had one heck of a time! So proud of my kids for tolerating the rain, and marching in it like pros! This will definitely be a moment to document for their future posterity. 













No comments:

Post a Comment