REPLY

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Say Their Names At Union Square Park.

The Black lives matter movement continues to grow strong in my favorite city. Everywhere you turn you see the names of those who have died under the hands of racist brutality. This has given my son a huge lesson in being educated when it comes to human rights and people of color. There have been times when my kids have been asked what nationality they are and for the most people are accepting and say that they're lucky to have a lovely shade of olive skin, but sometimes that question has my son asking me, "why do they ask me that question?" I had to explain to him that being a Mexican-American can be hard sometimes and that I got the same treatment as a kid myself. People mistaking me for a black person. As a Mexican mom I've had my moments with white people and I can write an entire post about that but this is not about me. It's about looking out for my Black friends who are having it tough right now and we need to support them and pray for their safety. Their lives are significantly hurting right now.

I am so grateful for this mural that has been put up in front of the Daryl Roth theatre. They are a reminder to us that Black lives are in danger. The quotes that are written are inspirational and having my son read some of them out loud gave me the chills. Of course he asked what some of them meant and I explained to him the best way I know how. Unbiased without trying to express my anger too much. After going to a protest a couple of weeks ago he knows how I feel about this whole divided mess. But the main thing I have taught him is to love one another. No matter what their race, color, or gender. Even if they do wrong to forgive. Because at the end of the day, he will pass on the true meaning of acceptance and love to his future posterity. Without being a racist! 





No comments:

Post a Comment