REPLY

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Patience with sickness

Noah with his favorite bird blanket
I wasn't going to blog about my morning, and how today will be called 'taking care of Noah day', but wanted y'all to know how my morning has been. He began throwing up in the middle of the night. I know that this odd weather we've been having doesn't help with our immune system. One week it's 60 degrees, and then the temps drop down to 40, hence having sick kids, and other kids fighting the sickness. Our house is a bug manifestation at the moment as I am a little under the weather myself. 

One thing I am extremely grateful for is that Jon happens to be off today! He stayed up with Noah for half the night while I slept. He still managed to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to teach seminary, and came back home at 6:45, and slept until 9pm. I am so not used to having any of us sick. Luckily we have the whole weekend to recuperate. 

There is another thing I am extremely grateful for...hardwood floors! While Noah falls asleep on the couch, and if he feels the urge to puke...the carpet is lifted, and it is easier for me to wipe off any vomit. I usually complain of having hardwood floors throughout this house because of all the sweeping the girls and I have to do during the summer. Today I am grateful for them because they are easy to clean up. 

Aside from Noah being sick, my morning has been alright. Having my better half home makes it all better. He has so much more patience than me when it comes to sick kids. I swear this always happens when my husband happens to be off. I count my blessings for that! I know that Noah seeks comfort from his dad when it comes to puking in the bathroom. It breaks my heart to see such a sweet, small two-year old regurgitating his oatmeal, and yes...even water. Seeing him tremble due to the trauma of vomiting makes me so sad. I know exactly how he feels as I went through that myself as a child. I hardly ever went through this with any of my girls. You'd think that boys would be stronger, but in Noah's case he is very much human, and capable of illness. 
The end result is always the best. You see your sweet little boy's eyes twinkle knowing that he is secure in dad's arms, and that he is being taken care of. Knowing that compassion is being expressed to him, and that he can also sit on my lap begging me to nurse him. (Yep...I'm still trying to wean him, and always give in!) I know that he will be his jovial self by tomorrow, and will go back to being the sweet boy that he always is. Having one of your children ill teaches you a lot...especially at this age. In my case it is teaching me to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment