REPLY

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whitney...shoop shoop

She was an enduring legacy who left behind a lot of hit songs following her death. She was another huge role in my childhood, and today I just had to blog about one of the biggest icons...Whitney Houston.
I was a freshman in high school when I first heard the song, ""How Will I Know" at a sock hop. I had the biggest crush on this boy, and everytime I heard this song I often wondered if he was really interested in me, or if he was just getting his flirt on to pass the time due to his 'girlfriend' from middle school breaking up with him. Whatever the reason was...I didn't care because I really liked this boy, and didn't care less as to the reasons why he was being attentive to me. That's how I knew he really liked me. Always listening to that song always kept me in good spirits even after it was our turn to break up. The 80's sure was a 'love era' for me.

Whitney Houston died too young. She was only eight years older than me.

Eight!

I know that her lifestyle with drugs took the very best years of her life, and I am saddened at the fact that she became so involved with that. I'm sure having had a husband who had a drug habit as well didn't help her. With all the successes and pressures that come with being a big time celebrity has to be difficult in keeping up appearances.

Still...I will never forget her. I still play "I'm Every Woman" while doing something active such as cleaning the house, or out running errands with Noah. She was the 'queen of the night' in "The Bodyguard." She was my idol when it came to being an independent woman, and didn't allow any man to walk all over her in "Waiting to Exhale." 1996 was my year of 'girlfriends', and I will always treasure the evening I watched this movie with Courtney, Naomi, & Pua.
I will always love you Ms. Houston.

May you rest in peace, and I thank you for being a huge part in my life when it came to learning what love and friendship were all about through your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment