REPLY

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Peeking on a first date

Sierra & Ben
As mothers we all can't help but to think on how our daughters are going to be treated on their first date. We wonder if he's treating her with respect, if he's letting her pick out what she wants to eat, if he's listening to her while she's talking without having any wicked thoughts. Well, if they are raised in the way that fathers should raise their sons with respect and good mannerisms...then we shouldn't have to worry. Still...it's natural to worry about those things. Especially when its your firstborn.

But in this case...I didn't worry too much!

I was in my bedroom waiting for Sierra's date to pick her up. I noticed a car pulling up onto our driveway. Without making it obvious I peeked gently through the curtain, and ran quickly to the door. I saw him walking towards our door with his hands in his pocket, I stood behind it, and waited for him to knock. I was not worried at all in this boy taking my daughter out on a date for the first time, because I met him once before at a church activity. His countenance was gratifying, and I felt a sweet, peaceful spirit about him. I invited him in, and he patiently waited for Sierra. Since I LOVE to take pictures, and because I want Sierra to remember this moment in seeing how crazy of a mother I am, I took a photo of them. They were both so sweet, and happy to be going out.

Happy because they were going on a group date. Happy because they were going to be mingling with great friends who share the same values as they do. Happy because of the friendship they have made knowing that it is a special one, and nowadays...we all need friends like that!

It's moments like this in which makes me extremely grateful as a mother knowing that I have raised a daughter who lives by her standards in making the right choice. She is very responsible, and as parents we trust her. We trust her where she will be, what she is doing, and who she is with. I don't have to call her every five minutes, every half hour, or every hour just to check up on her. I know she was safe, and having a grand time. She came home around midnight, and once again I peeked through my bedroom window, and ran to the door. I saw him walking her to the door like a gentleman not expecting anything in return such as a kiss. I could hear her contagious laugh as they were saying goodnight to each other. Their night ended with a sweet, and simple hug goodbye. As she opened the door I noticed the look on his face (through the stain glass window), and he looked pleased...grinning ear to ear. How sweet!

I obviously scared Sierra because I was standing in the dark, and she started laughing again. I wanted to let her know that I wouldn't be peeking like this all the time whenever she goes out on a date. I just wanted to see their reaction being that it was their first date and all. She didn't mind, and proceeded to tell me about her evening. She began telling me how much fun she had being around Ben, and good company. There were four other couples present and apparently each couple cooked an individual dish. Sierra and Ben made a snack called muddy buddies, and the others made parmesan chicken, potato salad, and lava cakes. She proceeded to tell me how much fun they all had during dinner. There was laughter among them, and they were all talking about school, cars, and disney movies. Games took place as opposed to watching Avatar.

Another thing that made this evening even better is the fact that they all share one love, and that is the love they have for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Although they belong to the same church, they don't see each other every Sunday. Some of the other kids attend a different building across town, and this was a treat for them in getting together on a group date. She sure did have a lot of fun.

I'm so glad she had a wonderful experience going on a group date. She was among mature youth, and says group dates are the best! I wish I could have experienced that as a teen! How fun that would have been instead of thinking that having a 'boyfriend' throughout high school was better...NOT! I didn't think so, and I am glad that she is experiencing the dating scene in the most pleasing way.

1 comment:

  1. It was so fun having them all in our home. I think they all had a grezt time! I didn't know it was her first date. Glad it turned out so well. She is such a cute girl!!

    ReplyDelete