REPLY

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Angelic friends to the rescue

The Lord has blessed us with amazing friends here in Jersey. If we have just one person in our lives that exhibit true friendship, and know the meaning of how it is to be Christlike...that's all we need. In this case we've had two, and if you don't mind I'm going to boast about them...all in the name of service. 
This woman has been a blessing in my life, and an amazing friend to the Jorgensen clan. She is Chelsea's former kindergarten teacher, and has become a surrogate aunt to her. Last night was Candy Bar Bingo at Chelsea's school, and substituted on my behalf in taking her. She wanted to take Chelsea, and see all the other kids from her former class. Ms. Griffith's tradition with Chelsea every time she takes her out is they must eat at Friendly's afterwards. Yes...that's Chelsea's favorite part. She also LOVES spending time with her.

As y'all know our car broke down two weeks ago, and one of the things I was stressing over was how the girls are going to make it to their piano, and violin lessons. Here comes Ms. Griffith to the rescue. I felt so comfortable in asking her if she would do me the favor in taking the girls to their lessons just until we got the car fixed, and she didn't hesitate for nothing. As a matter of fact I left her a long message on her voice mail explaining to her what happened to our car, and how I needed help in getting the girls to their lessons. She immediately returned my call right away. Not the next day, not two days later, right away...meaning within the hour!!!

The Lord has been extremely good to us during this trial. I truly don't feel alone at all in this 'broken down car/waiting for it to get fixed' situation.

As members of the church we tend to observe, and help others in times of need. You also know when someone truly LIVES the gospel, and understands how to serve in an unconditional manner just as Christ would. Someone who goes with the saying, "He will take his shirt off his back for anyone." Well, I know a few people in our church who exhibit that perfect example of service adding a mix of, "the pure love of Christ."

The Albrecht's...
Since my husband is the seminary teacher in our ward, we were trying to figure out how he was going to get to early morning seminary. Since he picks up two other young women he was worrying even more as far as finding a solution to this problem. My husband's main concern was teaching seminary to the kids. To be honest, most of the parents didn't seem to help us find a solution as to how they were all going to make it to seminary, or if anyone else would be willing to sub for him...or even offer to help pick him up.

We thought of finishing seminary inside our home for the remainder of the school year, but then my husband mentioned that the kids can be pretty loud, and our house isn't that big. Although our basement isn't finished, I mentioned that I could fix it up and he could teach down there. We were seriously thinking of doing that when last Sunday Brother Albrecht came up to Jon, and said to him that he can use his car to take the kids to seminary, and leave it at the house for me to use. He is willing to do this until our vehicle is fixed. What an amazing guy!

I can't begin to tell you how much that meant to me. My heart swelled up, and it brought back memories of when we lived in San Antonio, and in North Carolina. This is the third state in which we had a 'car situation' and members of the church observed our predicament which ended up in a family offering the use of their car until it got fixed! Now that's what you call service, and an amazing Christlike attribute!

There are also two other friends we have in our community who have extended a helping hand, and I thank them also. We also appreciate those in the ward who have also had a part in helping us with a ride, or even the gesture as to being "concerned". I also appreciate those who instead of asking us, "Is the car fixed"?, or "When are you going to fix your car"? ask us,"If y'all need anything...please let us know." 

That's the kind of question I like hearing, and the ones whom I feel truly understand the meaning of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment