REPLY

Monday, February 17, 2014

our "winter" Valentine's day weekend.

Is Valentines day a weekend for lovers? Yes and no. Some of us may be single with many friends to share it with, and some of us may have a significant other to celebrate it with. Fortunately I have a love in my life along with four children to make this holiday very special. Valentines day is one of my favorite holidays specifically because of the kids. Exchanging valentines with other kids at school was one of my favorite things to do when I was their age. I love teaching them about loving their fellow man no matter what, & that giving out valentines day cards to their friends at school (even to the kids that are mean) is teaching them unconditional love. 

Valentines day is not just for adults. It's also for the little people & these two had a grand time making valentines. Noah's art may not be mastered but he has the right concept when he draws a picture. We mailed cards, dropped off treats, and after a day of thinking of others it was our turn to have a date night. 
The day we saw The Saratov Approach movie we saw the trailer for Winter's Tale, and the fact that Jessica Brown Finlay (who played Lady Sybil in Downton Abbey) stars in it along with Colin Farrell made my heart swell, and I was sold! I had been counting the days till valentine's day for this magical looking movie to open. 

First of all I had no idea that this movie was going to be about angels & demons. Without giving too much of the movie away it was beautiful & absolutely stunning. There is a lot of love, hope, magic, and miracles in this film. It's an unabashedly love story with an ending that makes you realize what could possibly happen to us when we die, and in my opinion was an interesting rendition of good verses evil.

If you liked the movie "Ghost"...you'll definitely love Winter's Tale! 

*****

Attending the temple the day after was perfect! It was Valentine's Day weekend, we had just seen the perfect movie the night before, and we had our cute kids with us. We made it a priority to just take off and "run" to the temple! I felt so emotional this day. Winter can bring out the "blues" for some of us, but when you're at the temple no matter how busy, tired, or stressed your week, life is/was going to the temple takes all of that away. I know I write a lot about our trips to the temple, and that is because I have such a strong passion for it. The seasons pass us by way too quickly, and knowing that I made it to the temple this winter makes me extremely grateful that I made the time to go. 

Spring is coming pretty soon, and I look forward to the flowerbeds filled with different colored tulips, but on this day seeing the temple grounds covered with snow was a sight to see. It's amazing how looking at this timeless building in the winter brings me a different, but "fresh" perspective at my life right now.
This picture makes me so happy. Seeing these two hugging while the cold air is blowing with smiles on their faces gives me a surety that no matter how much they bicker they truly do love each other. Noah was too cold to stand outside for a long period of time, and so I quickly managed to capture this photo of him while cuddling on papas shoulder. Stubborn little boy wouldn't put his coat on. I asked him if he wanted his hat, and he said "I am wearing my hat mommy...it's my hoodie!" Silly boy.
Our lives seem so much calmer, peaceful when we leave the House of The Lord. Our feelings don't get hurt, and any offense made by another person whether it's family, a friend, neighbor, or even a member of our own congregation just passes us by. Nothing matters to us, but the love we share for others, by being a good example to those we meet, and come in contact with. Whether they feel our love for them is real is their choice. But I know that my love for each and every human being that I meet on this earth is real.
And that...my brothers and sisters is what the temple brings. Love, joy, & fulfillment. It truly makes us a better disciple of Christ, mother to my children, wife to my hubby, and friend to others.

Now two things you need to tryyyyyy to do this week..go watch Winter's Tale and attend the temple if you can! There's over 100 of them, and there's bound to be one where you live! If not...I don't think you'll have to wait much longer.

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment