REPLY

Thursday, February 6, 2014

ways to keep my toddler active indoors during winter.

The past couple of weeks we have had school cancellations, and two hour delays. Delays I don't mind, but the cancellations I do. Unless there is an extreme Polar Vortex, or major ice storm happening then by all means cancel school. Otherwise if it's raining lightly without snow...c'mon, let's not make a big deal out of it. Although I do enjoy sleeping in these days, and the two hour delays I didn't mind.

This past Monday mother nature stood out and had the snow come tumbling down. Her snowflakes were huge, and looked so beautiful. School was canceled that day, and everyone was home. I had asked the kids if they wanted to go outside and play, and everyone was okay with it except Noah. He responded with a stern look on his face with an emphatic "No!" When the Polar Vortex hit our neck of the woods last month with 9 degree weather we braved the cold temps & attempted to go sledding. Noah was not pleased. He lasted about what...20 minutes out in the cold. I don't blame him...that day was freezing!! Chelsea was the only one on that day who braved the cold temps & was determined to go sledding as you can see on this vine.  

Even though I have a "young heart"  I'm beginning to feel my age. Not that I'm old, but after a while I do get a bit tired (then again maybe it's just this weather). Especially since Noah is becoming more active, and older. Being stuck indoors hasn't been helping, and when we're not venturing outside he constantly wants me to watch a movie with him, read books to him, play a game with him, lay down with him to nap (when I'm not tired), eat with him (when I'm not hungry), & do yoga with him. 

In other words...he wants me to stop what I'm doing and just spend quality time with him. And I do. No matter how tired I become I somehow snap out of my exhaustion and somehow my energy is refueled in order to accommodate my sons needs & endure these rainy, winter indoor days with an active four year old boy!

It's amazing you know. The love that I have for him. The willingness to set whatever it is I'm doing in that moment to just do what he'd like for me to do. Is he being bossy? No. Is he telling me what to do? No. He asks me in a polite manner which makes me want to give in even more to whatever his little heart desires. 

So with the weather continuing to be cold & unable to go to the park because of leftover snow & wet monkey bars we have found ways to keep us occupied without getting on each other's nerves! Luckily the girls have school now & that they are productively learning for about seven hours (five hours if they have a delay.) But when they're not they have a piano to play on, and Lexie has her violin to practice & oh do many books to read!! 

Board games. What a better way to break the monotony of being a couch potato and watch movies or cartoons to educate their young minds. The kids especially love it when dad plays with board games with them. There are only a few games we have for Noah to join in with them so they played a few rounds of Trouble along with a few memory card games. 
Reading books! Had to add in that exclamation point. I get so pumped up when noah would rather read than play with an electronic device. He immediately goes upstairs to his small library shelf to grab books. He has gotten into the Dr. Seuss genre & loves Eric Carle picture books. He enjoys it when Chelsea reads to him too. 
Prepping with play food.  I have had this play food set since Lexie was about four. Chelsea loved playing "Diner" with Lexie and now Noah loves to "Chef." Here he is cutting up bread and putting mustard on his sandwich. 
Crafts & coloring.  Valentines day is just around the corner and even though he's a boy he loves to cut, color, hole punch, mode/podge & glue anything that's a paper product. We made a few decorations out of doily's and some cards the other day. 
Educational iPhone apps. Yes..there are times when I give in to technology with this little guy. After a while his small dose of ADD will kick in and he'll ask if he can play games on my phone, iPad, or computer. I give him about an hour to play and that's about it. There are a lot of mind games for toddlers but lately he's had a fixation on playing "the guitar' on the iPad mini. Although I think it's time to buy him a guitar.
Unwinding with DVDS. I'm an old school movie freak that owns a ton of Dvds & sometimes we need to unwind with a fun movie. I love it when Noah snuggles with me on the couch. He still does that with me & hasn't grown out of it. There are also times when he'll hog up the couch and keep it all to himself! 
Those who don't bake, buy. I seriously need to start baking more for my kids, and for you mothers that have the patience and the talent well kudos to you! My two teenage daughters have spoiled me with their baking skills, & even though Sierra is gone I still have Lexie to bake for me! Every time I ask her to bake cupcakes, cookies, or make milkshakes her face lights up! But when it's mid morning & you have a craving running to your closest bakery or donut shop in my opinion is the way to go! 
^^ yummy heart cookies that were devoured in seconds...not minutes. thanks McMillan's! ^^
Yeah...it's been pretty cold, but not too cold to venture out for some sweets. This week so far has been  pretty great, and I don't mind the snow we've been having. There are days when I'm grateful for school cancellations because it gives the kids time to spend with their daddy. Delays are even better because I'm beginning to like this sleeping in bit. Spring is pretty much around the corner, and that is something we're all looking forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment