REPLY

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

because sometimes parents aren't enough.

I've written about this wonderful lady a couple of times on my blog, but had to add another post about her because of all the love that she has shown to my family...especially to my nine year old. She is one who exhibits the pure love of Christ, and in many ways is a great example to me.

Maryann was Chelsea's kindergarten teacher three years ago, and till this day continues to spend quality time with her. I honestly believe that God put her in my path specifically for Chelsea. Chelsea is my youngest daughter and the one who can use a lot of attention. She's a good kid with a heart so full. She has so much room in her heart for her friends, but sometimes I feel as if she needs more in return. It's hard when both of her grandmas live across the country, and this is one kid that definitely yearns for a "grandmother role" in her life. She writes both her grandmas, but it's not the same. Maryann fits the role pretty close, and there have been many days where she saves me from taking my child out on adventures whether it's to see a ballet, lunch, or a movie. She saves me from the simplicity of just spending quality time with her as a grandmother, aunt, older sibling, and mother would. 

Don't get me wrong...Jon & I love spending time with this child, but sometimes she needs another adult besides us folk to break the monotony of always hanging around with someone that doesn't let them get away with anything. 

Maryann is as awesome as they come. She's hip, fun and loves children. She was an educator for 30 years, and from my perspective was great at it! The way that she looks at Chelsea puts a smile on my face. It's as if she longs for a grandchild of her own. I see the way they are together when they talk, or play a simple game on her iPhone. The way she'll sometimes stop by on a whim while Chelsea's doing her homework to help her with any questions she may have concerning it. After all...she was her teacher once before. The way she sounds when she leaves voice mails on my phone letting me know how excited she is to attend any school/church activity that pertains to any of my children...especially for Chelsea. The thrill in her voice when I invite her over to have dinner, or just simply spend time with us.

In the early part of January we "attempted" to go ice skating at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, but to no avail. Time was cut short when we arrived and saw that the line was about an hour long! Chelsea & Noah had open call auditions to be a kids model for American Apparel in Hoboken, and couldn't afford to be late. Maryann was more patient than I was when it came to standing out in freezing temperatures walking around prospect park to find the nearest exit. This was our first time venturing out to this park not knowing our way around. Luckily they have signs, and that Maryann was around to save me from insanity with two freezing kids in tow. 

Sometimes we need another adult in the lives of our children to show them a different kind of love that is different from the parent. I strongly believe that's why the Lord put this lovely woman in my path to help me in that department. 
I still haven't heard back as to whether or not the kids have been chosen, but even if they weren't selected as models, spending the day & ending the evening with great company whom I call family, and eating delicious pizza from Grimaldi's was the icing on the cake!

Grateful for Maryann's friendship & all that she does for my family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment