REPLY

Thursday, September 11, 2014

So That My Children Will Always Remember...

13 years have passed since the twin towers were hit, and there is not one day where I don't think of those who lost their lives on that day. Living less than two hours away from NYC away gives me many an opportunity to venture out to the city I love. Whether we're on foot, or driving past where the twin towers once stood which is now the Freedom tower, helps me to always remember and to never forget. The fact that I was out west 2000 miles away nestled in the comforts of Jon's grandpas house in Washington state when the attacks occurred was surreal. I couldn't believe it because just the year before it happened we had visited New York City for the first time.

It was the year 2000. 

Two out of my four children were already born when 9/11 happened. Sierra was five, and Lexie was only seven months old. Granted Lexie doesn't remember anything because she was a baby when we first explored new york, but Sierra does remember getting lost inside the Empire State Building with Dad. This is when I thank my lucky stars for owning a camera, and scrapbooking pictures. Standing inside the twin towers, and doing some window shopping inside the mall is something we will never forget the first time we ventured into the city.

Now my nine year old is learning about 9/11 at school, and slowly but surely I'm showing Noah footage of the first tower that got hit by a plane in New York and how I'm explaining to him that bad people were flying the plane  and crashed into it. He's still little, and doesn't quite comprehend as to why it was hit except that he thinks its a movie. When he saw the first plane crash he said,"the plane hit the building mom!" And soon he will be reading it in history books.  

All morning long I couldn't help but to tune into NPR news to hear somber stories from the ones who lost a loved one on that day. I was listening to it as I drove my husband to work, and I continued to listen to it when I arrived home. It was so interesting to hear the survivors perspective of that day, and to hear so many heartwarming stories being said from survivors of those that lost their lives. They were talking about how much that person meant to them, and there was a moment when two spouses were on the air recalling of that day, and how they both spoke with their loved one on the day knowing that they were not going to survive being stuck on the 105th floor with fumes surrounding the office. It was heartbreaking to hear, and that's when the tears began to stream down my face. Knowing that it was the last time they would hear their voice.

I can't even imagine the horror everyone faced on that day getting phone calls from a loved one to standing outside in the midst of it all literally watching the towers crumble to the ground. To see body after body plunging to their deaths, and from what I read...some of them were holding hands as they jumped. 

Reading the depictions behind these photos proves all too well that on that day strangers became friends, and that the city of New York united as one. 

I have been living in Jersey now a little over six years, and had I been living here the day it happened I know that a part of me would have wanted to drive into the city to see if there was anything I can do along with a side of "freaking out!" Now that I live closer I never want take that city for granted. My family and I love venturing out to the city to take in everything that is magical about it. We love sightseeing, and having seen the Freedom Tower built so high is a thought I cannot even take in. Everytime I drive into the city I keep expecting to see the twin towers from the George Washington bridge. It's something that I've treasured ever since we toured them 14 years ago. I'm not even from here, and didn't have a loved one die on that dreadful day, but my heart is big enough to hold a lot of love for the people of the fallen . 

I heard that at least 15 million people have seen the freedom tower so far in the past four months, and that is amazing! We haven't taken the complete tour, but when we went by it a few weeks ago I didn't feel like taking selfies, or even pictures of the 9/11 Memorial. There's always a good number of people hanging around the grounds of the memorial, and for some reason I just wanted to take in the moment of actually standing on the ground where loved ones fell to their death, and say a prayer for them inside my head. 

After I heard a few stories from survivors, and family members of the fallen I decided to turn off the news, and focus on my son. After hearing the last memories they had of their loved one made me want to look back at the lives of my children, and how quickly they grow up. I was watching this video of Noah when he was a baby, and my  firstborn Sierra growing up through the years. And then I had those disturbing images tucked in my mind of the people falling to their death, and remembering the phone calls everyone was making on United flight 93 before the plane crashed. Knowing that they were all going to die as they each called their loved ones. 

I also learned on this day how quickly someones life can be taken. 

It blows me away to see how people reacted on this horrific day, and how strong the people of New York became as well as the entire nation. I think this is why we always 'remember' by having news coverage every year, and keeping in touch with the ones whose lives were spared. Keeping in contact with those who are strong enough to relive those images, and talk about that fateful day. I love the fact that we post "never forget" because it is too easy to go back to the daily mundane, and eating our lunch as if nothing happened. 
When I finally got myself off of the computer, I went to my son and hugged him so tight. I asked him what he wanted to do today, and of course he wanted to go to the park, and ride his scooter. I obliged. Raindrops began descending pretty quick, and then we made it back to the house, and went back out again after they dispersed. We decided to drive to a nearby lake so that he could feed the ducks, and enjoy the scenery. That didn't last very long because Noah decided to grab a few rocks and throw them into the water. Then it hit me. He's only little once, and since there is no one around I'm going to let him be a boy, and have him skip some rocks into the lake. I was smiling, and just let him be a kid. 
He did have fun feeding the ducks though!

I'm enjoying this time with him and I don't want to take anything, or anyone for granted. I want to treat each day as if it's going to go on and on. I want to cherish my everlasting moments with this little guy. 

It's unfortunate that such a disaster had to occur in order for America to unite and become as one. I pray that we will not go through this again, but we never know. And that's why we need to prepare just in case. Prepare to love,  and in having compassion so that we will know how to handle such a catastrophic event. 

My love for New York City and Washington D.C. have grown ever since moving to Jersey. My kids love it, and as many times as we've gone there it never gets old. In spite of all that has happened since 9/11 our thoughts when we drive past the Freedom Tower, and walking the streets of New york seeing smiles on occasion, and a "what a cute little boy" compliment said by a stranger as we roam Central Park gives me hope that this city will always remember, and never lose focus on the reasons why we do so...and that it'll last a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment