REPLY

Sunday, May 15, 2011

An Evening with the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale


Sierra called me from school in the middle of the day on Friday to let me know that her choir teacher had given her five tickets to see the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Choral. She was sure I'd say yes, but just in case she still called to ask if we were interested in going. Her choir teacher Mr. Adams knows how much she appreciates chorale and how much she loves to sing. I have to say she was his first choice in giving her the tickets.

She obliged.

The choir performed at a local Catholic church. I have to say that as soon as I walked into the building, glanced at the font of holy water in the entrance, and sat down to look at the kneeling bench below me...I immediately had flashbacks of when I was a catholic.  I didn't mind at all, and I was happy to be in familiar territory to where maybe...just maybe I can have an opportunity of sharing the gospel that has completely changed my life.

The choir was phenomenally amazing!! It was interesting to read a little bit about them on the program. They were founded in 1968 and are renowned for their commanding musicianship and interpretive abilities. The choir ranges in ages seven to about 70!! This choir has been on Good Morning America and have traveled as far as China, Germany and have even performed with The Vienna Boys choir. I was really impressed with their voices. They sang mostly jazz songs and African American songs as well as church hymns. I wish our church choir had as many men singing as they do.

 The Philadelphia Boys choir may not have performed at our church, but I did feel the spirit of Christ as the choir was singing us goodbye. They sang a prayer for a benediction called "Holy", and as they were beginning to harmonize, a few of the boys stood up and began saying qualities of God. When they uttered these words: God is self sufficient, God is faithful, God is forgiving, God is omnipresent, God is omnipotent, and God is omniscient, is when I began to feel the spirit strongly. Even though I wasn't at my church surrounded by members of my congregation, I still felt the spirit of the Lord, and that is when I know those words were being testified of Christ, and it didn't matter if it wasn't at our church.

It was such a nice evening spent with our family. All of my girls are musical and love to sing. They really enjoyed entering an unfamiliar church where their mother was once of that faith, and they didn't mind. I left without sharing the gospel and that's okay. There will be other opportunities.

I did record the choir sing but after watching it I decided not to post it. There was too much Noah interference with his coughing and boy noises. Sorry!

*To hear the Philadelphia Boys choir sing go here. (I would love to watch them sing this at Christmas time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment