REPLY

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Scenes from a Church Prom

"Thousands of emotions well up inside me throughout the day. They are released when I dance."
~Abraham Lincoln
I wasn't raised a mormon and never even heard of a "church prom" until my daughter turned 14 and was old enough to go. I had a short glimpse of the scene as I walked into the church building and saw a few of the youth anticipating to dance. It's moments like this when I look at my daughter growing up wishing that I had what she is experiencing now being active as a youth in church while at the same time having good, clean fun.


Vicki Baum once said "there are short cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them." Sierra LOVES to dance. These kids need release, and this is the time they can let it all go while dancing. The youth strive so hard to be great examples to others and they deserve a night full of fun! This is her second church formal and every year she and her girlfriends get more giddy. She had an amazing evening with her friends from all of South Jersey. Sierra definitley is the one to light up the room, make the night come alive, and have everyone swarm around each other with a lot of energy, and just dance the night away.
This is definitely a shortcut to happiness!

It's so nice to see the youth from our church all gather together like one big happy family. I am so glad that we have activities like this where there is no alcohol, modest dressing, modest dancing, laughter and clean music. I look forward to these formals every year, and I know Sierra does too.


Every year she grows at least two inches taller. Every year the choosing of the dress becomes more elegant. Every year I cry a little when she gets all dolled up to go to any dance. Most importantly... every year her ambitions prosper, her list of goals becomes longer, and her spirituality becomes stronger. As each year passes by I see a beautiful young girl developing into a classy young woman.

Oh, did I forget to mention...

Every year she begins to think boys are "cute" too. Should I be nervous?

I'm sure she'll have a "date" to the church prom next year being that she is turning 16 next week!!


THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment