REPLY

Friday, June 27, 2014

Philadelphia International Music Festival.

It only took two days since school ended for Lexie to go away and spend two weeks at Bryn Mawr college where the Philadelphia International Music Festival is being held.  

The PIMF is a summer music program where she will be residing for 14 days. I was so excited when I got the phone call informing me that she won the Alice Downs Scholarship for young violinists! Lexie's violin teacher encouraged her to apply for the scholarship where she had to compose a 300 word essay on the importance of classical music studies for youth.

And she nailed it!

She received the scholarship, and for the next two weeks Bryn Mawr will be her home.


She is done with her first week, and guess how many times I've talked with her on the phone? Twice. Texted? Three times in the morning to wish her a good day. It looks like the experience with Sierra being gone since January has helped me to deal with the fact that Lexie is gone too. Luckily it's only for two weeks and not five months! She said that it is a very intensive program. She absolutely loves it, and has already made new friends. I wasn't nervous or afraid to send her off into unfamiliar territory. Then again it's not like she's across the country or anything, plus she's a very mature 14 year old with a very good head on her shoulders.


I was very impressed with the staff at orientation, and all that this program is offering Lexie. She is one lucky girl being that this festival offers private lessons, and master classes with a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra, daily music education courses, chamber music rehearsals, and competition opportunities. When I was talking to Lexie she said that her arm was so sore from constant practicing, and playing, but is now is getting used to it. Apparently they're working the heck out of her, and I think that's a great thing! She is really focusing on learning so much from the staff, and their teachings. So far she is loving it, and we are looking forward to the grand finale concert on the fourth of July.

Bryn Mawr is a beautiful area in Pennsylvania, and the campus is nice. It kind of reminded me of Princeton. Lexie's dorm is nostalgic, and the doors have stained glass windows. Apparently they were decorated, and I had a chance to snap a few photos of two that caught my eye. I didn't want to be a creeper, and take pictures of every single dorm door, but these two caught my attention. 

Harry Potter, and Peter Pan anyone??

As we were walking around campus we spotted some hammocks where Noah and Chelsea relaxed for a few. They have them them all hanging against a line of trees. I think it's pretty cool for the school to have them there for students to just kick back and relax. 
It has felt a little "off" having my two oldest daughters away from me, but luckily it's only temporary and that I'll have them both home soon. It has been nice giving my full attention to these two. There are times when Noah will tell me that he misses his sister, and how he can't wait for her to leave the castle! He said that Lexie's a princess living in a castle. I have to agree with him!
We are so proud of her for yet another amazing accomplishment and hope that she will come home mastering the violin better than when she left. Even if it doesn't affect her long term in becoming a musician (she'd like to be a doctor) knowing that she has a skill in playing beautiful music on her violin is good enough for me. She can always take that with her no matter where life will take her. And no matter what she decides to do with her life...she'll never stop playing her violin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment