REPLY

Monday, June 30, 2014

Read Instead...

Without books I honestly believe that life would be boring. I say this because as a young child reading was my escape. Escape from the real world, and any dramatic thing that was going on in my life. Reading fuels up the imagination, and when you're reading a great book whether happy or sad it's even better. I remember the times when ever I read a "happy" book I'd sometimes picture myself as the protagonist. The main character who is usually the good guy. The one who is usually happy, young, sweet, carefree, always having a good attitude. I love books like that. I also love books that are tear jerkers and give us pure joy. I love books that may have heartache in it too, with happy endings. Intense books are a must too, because sometimes we need that little pick me up. Reading the Watcher in the Woods at the age of ten was pretty intense for me because of the storyline. It's about a family with two girls who move away from their comfort zone into unfamiliar territory to a house near the woods where they both feel that someone or something is watching them. I pictured myself in that dark place trying to figure out who or what was watching, and how to resolve that. I need to read that book again because I forgot how the ending went. I love books that teach us the meaning of life, true stories of then and now, and books that help us grow spiritually. I love all kinds of books, and I am extremely grateful to have a house full of kids who actually enjoy reading them. 

You can imagine my giddiness when Noah came up to me the other day requesting he'd get a library card. I know he got that idea from his sister. Summer reading is upon us, and there are a ton of books to catch up on. One thing I love about the summer reading program are the incentives they offer for reading all summer long. I know that some kind of 'treat' is given, but not sure what kind. I had to give Chelsea one of my 'mom pushes' to read this year, but in all honesty she kind of struggles. Although she's an excellent reader, and pronounces her words correctly she would rather play outside, watch Disney movies, or play games on the computer (which I don't allow too much of lately.) Yay me! However, ever since school ended she has shown a vast interest in reading. Probably because of the 'mom push' I've been giving her, or the fact that I bought this print which gives her the motivation to read instead of playing games, and/or watching television. I also think the fact that Lexie won a scholarship, and money for being the winner of two award winning essays gave her more encouragement. I mentioned to her how reading books make you smarter, which in a lot of cases helps your vocabulary become more extensive, hence writing good stories. She really looks up to her sisters, and wants to read like lightening, and be smart like them. As Lexie and I were discussing Chelsea's struggles in reading, Lexie mentioned to me how she remembered the time we lived in North Carolina and how her second grade teacher awarded every month throughout the school year with coupons for a personal pan pizza from Pizza hut every time she read book that was at least 500 pages long. Because of that incentive she wanted to read more and more...and boy did she read a ton (still does!) Same with Sierra. 

Too bad the school here doesn't offer coupons for free pizza, but they do award certificates, and...a pencil. A pencil?? Really?? I guess I should be grateful huh? Well...I decided to do my own rewarding just like I did last year when she read. Last week we went to the library and checked out a couple of books, and made it a point to take a trip to the library at least once a week this summer. One thing that made my heart melt is seeing how excited Noah was when he got his very first library card. 
He demanded a picture, and so I snapped a few as he was wondering around  trying to figure out which books piqued his interest.  
^^^ He wanted this dictionary, but I told him we already had one at home! ^^^
Even though Chelsea is not a voracious reader (yet) like her sisters I am happy that she at least knows the importance of reading. She is entering the fourth grade this fall, and I think reality is beginning to hit her as she gets older. Knowing that there is going to be more homework, and less recess. As long as I continue to give her that 'mom push' she'll eventually have the desire to read on her own, and it's already beginning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment