REPLY

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Three Midnights Gone



The Players
The cast of Highland Regional High school's musical "Into the Woods", held audiences captive for the past three nights. It was entertaining, engaging and very enjoyable.

My husband and I went on opening night. It was amazing to see my daughter display her talent in acting and singing. Sierra played Cinderella's step-mother and gave a beguiling performance. My husband took our two other daughters who are ages six and eleven on Friday night. Even though Lexie had already seen the show with her dad the night before...she wanted to go again. So on the last night of the show, we spent it together. That was our mother and daughter date.
Sierra as the Step-mother
The Royal Family
I was very impressed with how all the students exemplified their character. They were all magnificent! Cinderella, played by Megan Dettrey sang with an angelic voice.  I couldn't take my eyes off of the wicked witch who was played by Chelsea Fields. Her voice was (no offense to Bernadette Peters) far more superior and stronger. They both did such a great job and will both be missed, being that this is their last year at Highland Regional.
Cinderella
  Wicked witch with Rapunzel

We can't forget all these other amazing performances given by Algeron and Cierra who played the Baker and the wife:

Eddie who played the little lad Jack, and Joylynn who played his mother:
Carlos and Thomas who played Rapunzel and Cinderella's Prince:
I was so moved with the last song in the finale that was sung by the witch and the rest of the players titled, "Children Will Listen". I was listening carefully to the words and with raising four children...these lyrics really hit home:

"Careful the things you say, children will listen. Careful the things you do, children will see and learn...children will look to you for which way to turn, to learn what to be. Careful before you say, "Listen to me." Children will listen."
This was Sierra's first musical and we both didn't know what to expect. I knew she would be spending countless hours at school and I was a little hesitant in her doing the musical. I remember behaving impatiently in such a way that I didn't want the negativity to rub off on her. I wasn't pleased with the long hours she was going to be enduring. Talking with her teacher who is also the director of the play, Mrs. Rowland, assured me that this was going to be great for her. She spoke highly of my daughter and through her words...I knew that Sierra needed to be a part of this. Yes...flattery does work!  I began to realize how important performing in this play was for her. She was so willing and committed to do all that was required of her. I was selfless and I am grateful that both her father and I supported her in this. She LOVES to act and sing and she looks forward to auditioning in next year's musical.
Thank you Mrs. Rowland for encouraging Sierra to be a part of this, and for being her mentor...and a friend.

"It is so important... especially in this day and age to be mindful of the things we do and say around our children."
~ Rose J. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish I would have known about the play. Into the Woods is one of my favorites!!! I think I saw several other youth from our stake in the pictures, too. Is that right? Way to go, Sierra!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure was a fun play to see. The youth from our ward came. It was a nice gathering. I wish you would of come. Next time, I'll send you an invite via Facebook.

    ReplyDelete