REPLY

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Chores

A clean house is a sign of a boring person.
~Author Unknown

A clean house is a sign of a boring person. ~Author Unknown


Sorry unknown author, but I'm going to have to disagree. I can guarantee you we are not boring!!!
Growing up in a small house that literally had three large rooms, my sister and I didn't have much to clean. Since there were only the two of us, my mom assigned me to dust the very few pieces of furniture we owned and my sister was in charge of vacuuming. Even though we were always yearning to cook and hardly ever did, we always took turns washing the dishes. We only had a half bath (toilet only with shelves up above) and the shower was outside. Our shower was cemented so it didn't require too much cleaning.

In our house today, there are four children. My three daughters all take turns cleaning the bathroom, sweeping, mopping, washing dishes (we hardly ever use our dishwasher), taking out the trash and the recycling bins. None of them have a specific chore and they all pitch in. Some families may assign each kid the same duty over and over again. I don't. I want each of my children to learn how to clean everything! Our house is not that big and we don't have a lot of furniture to dust. I think our two pianos take up the whole living room! Even though Noah is 16 months old, he LOVES it when any of his sisters turn the vacuum on. He will immediately grab it and start maneuvering it around and start vacuuming the magic carpets on our hardwood floors. He is not afraid of the sound once it's turned on, and loves to hear the sound of suction.

I know that he learned this by the example his sisters portray while doing their chores. I believe that no kid is ever too young to start cleaning, or in Noah's case vacuuming. I know that by assigning them any chore will teach them responsibility, and as they get older they will eventually become a pro in any area of cleaning...especially when they are on their own. It is also one way they can earn some moola!

Our girls LOVE that part!!

No comments:

Post a Comment