REPLY

Monday, April 4, 2011

Making Music

"Musical talent is not a prerequisite-just enthusiasm."
~Author Unknown
This past Friday night was Lexie's first spring violin recital, and Ms. Lindsay organized a good performance for her students. This picture was taken on the day of Lexie's first recital. She is now going on her third year playing the violin and she absolutely loves it! She has always wanted to play since she was about four. I remember she once had her eye on a purple violin at Daynes music store back when we lived in Utah. Her dad and I had mentioned to her that she would need to learn to play the piano first for at least two years, and then we can start her on the violin. She still plays the piano, but her favorite instrument is the violin. She is now eleven and in my opinion, plays it beautifully. 

Forward to two years later. This was the night of Lexie's second recital and she did even better. Lindsay is such a great teacher, and she will be missed. Now it's time to look for another violin teacher! 
I also just finished reading this book and it didn't surprise me on how strict chinese mother's are when it comes to playing an instrument. My two oldest daughters have been playing the piano since they were seven, and I have made friends with various chinese mothers. One question they would always ask me before a recital is, "Do you need to tell them to practice?" I would respond to them and say, "no." They would be amazed as to how I do it. "I just let them live and don't put a lot of pressure on them",  I'd say to them.  I am glad I don't have to be like a "chinese mother" and force my kids to play any instrument. All my girls practice the piano without being told. It would be nice if they had more time to practice, but an hour a day (per child) is pretty much the limit of practicing around our house. 

This past Saturday, we decided to have a mini-concert in our home and had Alexandra play her piece. Her dad had to work on Friday evening and couldn't take the time off, hence missing the recital at our church. That's okay. We love having family jam sessions at home. Especially right before General conference.

You can hear Lexie playing "The Two Grenadiers" by Schumann on my you tube channel here.


It's ironic though, our girls may not practice for four hours a day, yet our house has music playing 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No...not from the radio, from the piano and violin. So, if you happen to unexpectedly stop by our house or stroll down the neighborhood, you'll either hear the piano or violin playing, or the girls making their own music... by singing.

*Do you have a child who is musically inclined at playing an instrument?
*If so, how long do they practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment