REPLY

Friday, April 8, 2011

General Conference-A Time for Reminders

“We hope and we pray that there will continue to go forth to the world from this pulpit declarations of testimony and doctrine, of faith in the Living God, and of gratitude for the great atoning sacrifice of our Redeemer.”
—President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008), 15th President of the Church
This week my life has been moved by many wonderful things such as a nice visit with a nice family, a text from my half brother whom I hardly talk to, a nice letter in the mail from my mother- in- law who still believes in the joy of handwriting, sunshine, rain, my family, and last but not least...listening to the conference talks online given by our church leaders including President Thomas S. Monson, and each member of the quorum of the twelve as well as general authorities.

I found all the talks to be extremely powerful this year. Maybe it's because of all the adversarial things that are occurring in this world. They are reminders to me of becoming a better member. I noticed in most of the talks the words "service" and "discipleship" are mentioned.  I believe that we are all disciples of Christ and I really strive hard to be a GREAT example like the Savior. Some of these talks may sound familiar to most of us, but there are reasons why these talks are given. It truly awakens my soul, and uplifts me in the end making me feel like I can accomplish anything in the world, and be of good service to my neighbors, friends, the brothers and sisters in my church, and everywhere I go.

Sadly, I've encountered disappointment in others behavior that I can't understand why... when we have these magnificent leaders in our church who give us perfect counsel, and "know" that we have the truthfulness of the gospel- can be discourteous to others. I admit... I'm not perfect, and at one time or another may have hurt someones feelings, but in the end... I'll recognize it, apologize for it, work on it, pray for forgiveness, and hope to never do it again.

One good thing I was taught growing up was to always respect my elders. I'm turning 40 this year and I am dismayed when someone in my congregation who are five, ten, or 15 years younger than I, treats me with disrespect. My own children don't even disrespect me. They may not do it intentionally, but I digress and love them unconditionally. Having and knowing the truthfulness of the gospel really strengthens me. Listening to these talks and reading my scriptures daily reminds me of why I became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- Day Saints.

I understand that we all have problems and all of us are at different spiritual levels. Some of us may be going through a trying time and "forget" how to be a good follower of Christ. No matter what our excuse is, I look past that person's imperfections and just love them as I hope they look past mine, and love me too. We are all here for a reason and I want mine to be one that is "doing things for good", and to help serve and change for the better. Attending General Conference and really "listening" to the talks is a reminder to me that I can always be better.

"[The Lord] has created ways to bless both those who need help and those who will give it."
~President Henry B. Eyring

No comments:

Post a Comment