REPLY

Friday, April 1, 2011

Back to Back Family Home Evenings

And this gospel shall be preached unto every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.
~D&C 133:37
This week we've held back to back family home evenings. We made this decision as a family to strive hard to do this twice a week.

Some of you may ask... why two?

My husband works for AT&T in the sales department which requires him to work at least two Sundays a month. Since we moved to New Jersey, he has been working some Sundays. We are not thrilled about this, but we have become accustomed to it. The kids and I have talked about always having it on Monday regardless if their dad isn't home. If he is off on Sunday, we will have it both Sunday and Monday. If he's off on Tuesday, we will have it on Monday and Tuesday. 

Get the picture?

 The kids and I have been enjoying this and it's nice because it gives each of my girls the opportunity to choose the lesson. I think I created a little monster because Chelsea, my youngest daughter wants to have it everyday now!! As much as I LOVE having family home evening, and the blessings that come from it... having it twice a week is good enough for me! 
One of the lessons Chelsea taught (with the help of her sister), was on missionaries. The purpose of this lesson was to help us as a family to appreciate the missionaries, and prepare to serve. Chelsea enjoyed holding up the gospel art picture book and showing us the picture of the missionaries serving and sharing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Lexie is pointing out on her Children's atlas of the world book that missionaries are serving all over the globe.
Noah even gets excited when we set this time aside to have family home evening.  I had to put this picture into the blog so you can see his ear to ear smile, (sorry about the foot in the corner) and how he wants to be in charge and take over the lesson. I think he'll be a good future missionary with the way he presents himself. He is so bubbly and outgoing!

I am so grateful to have the desire and to make time to hold two family lessons a week. I didn't grow up with Family Home Evening and I'm so happy to be doing this with my family. It really teaches us obedience and helps us get through our week. The lessons don't have to be long. They can be as simple as watching a church video about the Savior, or a simple lesson from the Friend or Ensign magazine.

This weekend is General Conference. We look forward to hearing the words of a prophet and his counselors...and I hope y'all will do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment