REPLY

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Day of Silence

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. 
~Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Yesterday at my daughters high school dozens of students participated in the "National Day of Silence". Students refrained all day from speaking in hopes that they can get the feeling of how it feels like to NOT be included in fellowship or to be accepted as a human being. Most people cringe when the word "gay" is mentioned or when the topic comes up in a conversation. I have taught my kids to be valiant and to accept people as they are whether they are of a different faith, color, nationality, rich, poor, straight...or gay. 

"My silence is one step towards fighting these injustices" was one of the sentences that stood out to me as Sierra showed me the badge she was to wear during the "Day of Silence." There are many injustices in this world. It seems like the numbers in bullying, hate, and being discriminated against because your gay have increased. 

 Someone said to her the day before that she wouldn't hold out being silent because of her bubbly personality. She said to them, "this is a different and meaningful purpose, and I will." I asked her how her day was during the day of silence, and if anyone thought she was crazy or weird for doing it. She said to me, "It was a very trying and challenging day because I got a taste of what gay people go through. I felt how they feel when they come out of their shell and say they are "different." I felt the isolation and the feeling of being trapped. Trapped because someone asked me if I was a lesbian, and nodding NO wasn't a good enough answer. My silence prevented me from defending myself in also telling them that I'm doing this because we should treat them the same as we would anyone else. It's shocking to see that even your friends treat you differently and shun you just because you view life differently. It's crucial to let them in and to not judge them because I have felt the isolation, and now I can see why we must help them." She went on to tell me how there were certain people who thought it was "gay" for taking part in being silent. She can also see why their last resort would be suicide, and how we need to help them in not letting them get to that point...just because they are gay.  

We are a Mormon family. We love everyone unconditionally and accept everyone as they are. Sometimes being a mormon we are misunderstood. Just because we have gay friends and relatives doesn't mean we support or agree with their lifestyle. We don't go to rallies, but we respect them and love them for who they are.  

While reading C. Jane's blog a while back she shared a post that was written by a member whose blog is titled (Gay) Mormon Guy. I am amazed at the level of his spirituality and boldness he shares on his blog about how he has to fight every day of his life in being attracted to men while being active in the mormon church. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him. I admire his firm belief in knowing that praying to our Heavenly Father gives him the strength to remain undaunted, and to stay strong in fighting those urges. We are not perfect. No one is. 

I am happy for my daughter to have participated in this. She is such a unique individual and I continue to learn so much from her. Here I am almost 40 years old whose 15 year old daughter is teaching her. I love it!

I hope that whoever is reading this will learn that we are all children of God, and that if you know someone who is gay, and is being discriminated against to please help them...and be a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment