REPLY

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

seminary graduation & a personal memory.

For four years these kids woke up at 5am (or earlier) to attend early morning seminary to study  these four wonderful books. I'm sure the past four years were trying for them waking up on their own to study the word of God, but they persevered, and made it! 

It takes a lot of courage and desire to get motivated to attend early morning seminary. Most areas cross the world have it during school, and some have home study meaning they have it once a week. 

I commend these kids because of all the extracurricular activities, including jobs they had while waking up at an ungodly hour to study the word of God. 

Seeing my daughters commitment in taking responsibility to wake up on her own...yes, on her own (sometimes she'd have to wake her dad up when he used to teach) proved to me that she enjoyed it. Even though she'd grow tired as the year would wind down, she was strong, and knew that this is what helped her throughout her days, and that attending seminary was for her own good. I'm sure it's okay to speak for the rest of the kids as well. 

In Sierra's final year of seminary having a different teacher besides her dad taught her a lot. She learned that everyone has their own way of teaching, and unique spirituality. She really enjoyed Sister Neiman's method of teaching, and how she expressed herself with her testimony of the Savior, and His teachings.
Mingling is Sierra's favorite thing to do among friends, and to catch up with those whom she hadn't seen a while. 
I'm so glad Sierra had a few minutes to catch up on life with Dan, and to exchange one last hug. He'll be entering the MTC today to prepare for his two year mission in Brazil. We are so happy, and excited for him.

Until we meet again Elder Poaletti.  

*****

Now...a new chapter will soon begin for all you wonderful youth. 

Once you graduate high school, and attend various universities in the fall you will have the opportunity to attend the Institute of Religion which will further your knowledge, and help you gain spiritual growth as you continue to study the scriptures.

I remember when I joined the church a few of the young adults whom I call my friends today told me about a program that would be beneficial throughout my life as a young adult. I was told that these classes would help me become more familiar with the scriptures, strengthen my testimony, and that it would be fun.

And it was. 

Since I was 20 when I joined, and didn't have seminary growing up I thought that this would be something that would help me grow spiritually as well as learning more about the doctrine. I have to admit I also enjoyed going to institute because of the friends I made.

Coming from a nonmember family, and not having any LDS friends throughout my youth, or spiritual knowledge growing up, I really enjoyed being a part of a group whom I had a lot in common with. The college I attended was not Mormon territory, and so going to these classes helped me in remembering to keep my covenants in striving to live as Christ would have me. It didn't matter if there were only ten of us that attended...we had fun, and I learned so much!  


There were even nonmembers that would come, and I believe that was when my passion in sharing the gospel grew strongly, and I wasn't even afraid to share. Here I am this brand new member who didn't know squat about the scriptures (still learning), and I'm sharing this wonderful book with them. Pandora's box, in selflessly sharing the ultimate key that brought happiness to my life was opened on that day, and I was filled by the spirit to share, share, share!  

And I don't think it'll ever be closed.

It helped me throughout my daily struggles whether at home or at school. It took my mind off of any negativity that may be going through my mind because I had a lot of it back then. 

Looking back I don't see how I would of handled any dilemma had I not attended institute for that one semester. Moving to Utah soon after prepared me for what was next. Dating, major callings, marriage, temple covenants (look out...it's awesome!) kids, moving, etc. I honestly don't think I would have survived any trial in between all those duties had I not indulged myself in the holy scriptures.

I will always look back at those memories with fondness, gratefulness, and most of all love. Even though I didn't attend early morning seminary I think I got a taste of what it felt like to be taught by great teachers, and to be spiritually fed while having fun. Of course I didn't wake up at 5am everyday for four years to get the full effect. 

Regardless...I know that y'all had fun throughout those four years, and one day I guarantee that you will pass on your seminary experiences (hmm, hmm...marshmallow fight) to your posterity in telling them that it was bittersweet. 

Bitter because of those early hours of waking up, but sweet because of the love that you felt from The Lord, your teacher, your peers, and most of all the blessings you received while attending. 

C'mon guys...you know it was fun while it lasted. Look...Sierra is laughing instead of just smiling! OK...maybe she's happy because she doesn't have to wake up at 5am anymore!
Seriously, congratulations to you all, and good luck as you begin another chapter in your life!

COLLEGE! 

 I really do love y'all! Really, I do.

xo-
mama Jorgensen (because at times I treated you like a mom)


No comments:

Post a Comment