REPLY

Thursday, June 13, 2013

summer in the country.

There's something about the country that brings tranquility. I don't know if it's the southern girl in me or the fact that I used to live in North Carolina that makes me yearn for those "quiet days." There are days where I miss those moments of the sounds of summer in the country. The feeling of sunlight on your face as your walking through a wheat field. You know, the kind that you quite don't hear in the city because of cars speeding down a 20 mile an hour road and police cars with flashing lights passing by on the weekends.

There are days when I don't mind all that, but every once in a while i need to go to a place to relax, and breathe clean air. 

Feeling the clean, country breeze while eating outdoors helps me appreciate the outskirts of South Jersey. Because when life becomes too much for me to handle...I sometimes need to take that extra 30 minute drive out into the country. 
We accidentally found this mini cafe off the highway towards Cowtown called Lapp's and it was a gem. We stopped for lunch, and filled our tummies with pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers, and a hot dog for Noah. The shakes were pretty good too. 
This place was delish! We actually ate here once last summer. Kind of sad that it took us almost a year to return, but we made a vow to never take this place for granted. Those pulled pork sandwiches are just too good to resist.

Another thing I love about summer in the country are those good ole' farmers market stands. I look forward to this season where I can buy fresh fruit where the prices aren't too bad. 
Mmm...strawberries and watemelons. Now that is my taste of summer! 
On our way home we were driving through Mullicah hill when I spotted this big ol' red barn. I saw the word antiques on it, and I went right in. As soon as I walked in this store reminded me of The Quilted Bear in Utah. (For those of you who live in Utah and are familiar with the Quilted Bear...this store is kind of like that except with antiques.) There are different vendors who sell their stuff, and it's worth browsing. 
Now, I'm no "pro" when it comes to picking out antiques, and knowing if something is worth buying, but I do have a good eye for good merchandise. Jon on the other hand does. I love milk glass, and old mason jars, and it so happens that I found a few at 4 bucks a pop. Of course I didn't buy all of this, but this milk glass reminds me of things my grandma used to have. I swear my mother had that chicken container at the bottom. 
I found this red tricycle for Noah for 55 bucks, but I didn't buy it. I think it's worth the price because it was heavy and made out of tin. They certainly don't make bikes like that anymore.

Boy was i tempted to take one of these home. They had so many in different styles.  I'm so old school, and I miss those days when my mom had a turntable and would play the Grease, and Saturday Night Fever albums. Those were the days, and I will own of these...soon!
This is also a perfect place to find old albums at good prices. I'm itching for some nostalgia in my life! 
Golden books are my favorite for the little ones. I remember owning quite a few throughout my childhood, but the only one that survived which I hold in my possession is this one

I thought this picture was so sweet. It reminds me of Noah (without the dog). Oh look at those curls!
If I owned my own store I would definitely put this sign or something similar to it outside. Hopefully people won't get offended by it if I did! 
For those of you who live in Utah and are familiar with the Quilted Bear...this store is kind of like that  with antiques. There are different vendors who sell their stuff, and it's worth browsing. 

I now have added this store to my list of favorites, and getting the taste of summer in the country...literally was beautiful today! 
Forgive this shot...our three year old son took it! 

Happy Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment