REPLY

Monday, June 10, 2013

temple day & jenny oaks baker.

With Sierra graduating in two weeks, and the fact that we are possibly relocating this summer the one place we know that will give us peace of mind, guidance, and direction is inside the The House of The Lord

I love this place. I could totally live here...locally. If I did I'd guarantee I would be at this temple twice a week...or more. We spent the entire day here while Sierra, & Lexie entertained Noah & Chelsea. My mind wasn't set on taking pictures of the temple like I have on past temple trips. I did take a few, but my heart was set on entering that building as soon as possible so that I can get in the right state of mind.
Saturdays at the temple are always busy...always, but I love it. I love seeing our brothers and sisters filling the rooms to capacity. It's nice to see others not taking this beautiful building for granted. 

Our session lasted a little bit longer, and we stayed in the celestial room longer than usual. It's so nice to get away from the world where I can clear my mind in finding peace while sitting next to my eternal companion in the brightest room of the temple. I sensed that Heavenly Father was thanking me for taking the time to ponder in seeking answers to my prayers in His holy house, and for also taking the time to come. 

We felt pretty confident when we exited the temple, and anxiety always sets in when it comes to my children...I love them even more! 

We had a few hours to kill before Jenny Oaks Baker performed. The girls were craving Gyros, and we all voted on going to a place called Chicken Basket. They have the yummiest gyro sandwiches, chicken fingers, onion rings, french fires, and cherry Dr. Pepper. This is the place to go for some great non-greasy food near D.C.

Noah, and Chelsea kept themselves entertained painting temples on this interactive computer while waiting to be seated. They emailed one to grandma as soon as they were finished. 

Pretty cool looking gadget. 
This was our first time seeing, and meeting Grammy nominated Jenny Oaks Baker. She was amazing, and played that violin beautifully. She played songs from her Wish Upon a Star album, and even had her four kids play "It's a Small World." We are huge Disney fans so this was an extra special treat for us! I wish I would have recorded her kids playing because they sounded great! 

The Mormon Orchestra of Washington D.C. also did a fantastic job.  You can see where I vined some of her performances here, here, and here. These vines are only six seconds long so repeat if you want to hear them over, and over again!
Meeting Jenny was a dream come true...especially for Alexandra. She is the most kindest woman I've ever met. We waited a few minutes for other fans to leave so that we could have her all to ourselves.

She is so humble, and we both have a lot in common. I let her know how happy I was when I learned that she went to Curtis in Philadelphia for her B.A. and eventually got her masters at Juilliard. With Sierra attending University of the Arts in Philly this fall talking to Jenny gave us more hope in knowing that she can succeed in her music not matter where she goes. She also felt less guilty in not choosing BYU as her school because an apostles daughter didn't either. She even gave Alexandra a few violin pointers. 

She is my kind of sister, and one that has done really well with herself, and her sweet family. And we are so happy to have finally met her! 
It was a perfect evening, and end to our temple day, and I guarantee you we will be back for more. 

Y'all should come visit the visitors center when you get a chance. It's a beautiful place to get better acquainted with us Mormons...especially these wonderful people

Hope your weekend was a good one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment