REPLY

Friday, April 4, 2014

a treasured moment from 2004.

photo via deseret news
This week we tried to be "screen free" to focus on preparing for General Conference. Although I refrained from blogging I couldn't help but to post a few pics on Instagram. Sometimes you just need a break from the world online you know? 

When Spring comes I think of the times when we lived in Utah being so close to the conference center & how convenient it was for us to walk to temple square just to listen to conference. Whether or not we got tickets to watch it inside going to temple square as a family & sitting on the temple grounds to hear the words of a prophet was perfection to my weekends while living there. 

Living on the east coast away from the church headquarters was an adjustment, but we always manage to make it to the chapel for general conference. Sure we can watch it at home, but on Sundays I can't help but to keep that routine going as if we're going to church to partake of the sacrament. Our kids enjoy going to the chapel & in my opinion makes listening to conference more spiritual & meaningful to us.

This past week we were watching old General Conference addresses. That is when I realized that this year marks the 10th anniversary of when I went to the conference center in 2004 to sing with other sisters during General Conference.

Relief Society Presidencies from our stake back in Utah were all chosen to sing at general conference. Yeah...me singing. Scary thought huh? The camera must have loved me because you can see me at the bottom in the very beginning at 2:57, 4:03, and at 10:51. I'll tell you though...looking back ten years at this video brings back some awesome memories. I see the beautiful faces of my sisters whom I served with in the Relief Society...Kim, Mary Lou, Andrea, & Kristen who was our Stake relief society president at the time. 

Chelsea was born a year after this wonderful event took place so she knew nothing about this opportunity, and when we watched it together I asked her to see if she recognized anyone. She blurted out saying, "What the heck...is that you mom, or did you photoshop yourself in there?" Her expression was priceless, and I'm so grateful that I have this wonderful recording to pass on down to my posterity. I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to have done this service and to have been among an amazing group of sisters to sing songs of praise. An opportunity that many of us may never get. 

I count my blessings each day knowing that I have direction in my life by being a member of the LDS church, & that I have a choice to make each day a joyful one.

So thankful for the belief I have in God & for a living prophet who guides & leads us today with his words of wisdom that he gives. 

Living away from the headquarters of the church continues to strengthen my testimony & helps to conquer any resistance that I face. 

I have long since realized that I don't need to live in a place where I feel that in order to "believe" in a prophet, an apostle, or general authority that they're real. I know that by listening to their words via satellite & with the faith that I carry that their words are true. 

It is still the best feeling to have lived in President Thomas S. Monson's home ward for four years where I saw him maybe six times, and to have shaken the hands of President James E. Faust, & Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. I had the same feeling while singing at conference knowing that I was a couple hundred feet away from where they all sit. I had butterflies in my stomach...can't imagine how it will be when I meet the Savior (fingers crossed!)

The experiences I had while living in Salt Lake were some of the best, & although I had some major trying times those experiences have taught me lessons & strengthened my spirit in ways that I probably wouldn't experience elsewhere. 

This church is true, God lives, & I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.

I am so thrilled to watch general conference again this weekend & I hope that you will too! It is worldwide & everyone is invited! 

Have a great conference weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment