REPLY

Monday, April 14, 2014

a momentous event...all for a great cause.


For the past three weeks Lexie's friends at school were braiding, twirling, and even straightened her hair one day just to see how she would look with straight hair.  Friends were constantly telling her how they couldn't believe she was actually going to go through with buzzing her hair off, and how much they were going to miss her long hair. Even her teachers were amazed at her willingness to do this, but at the same time weren't surprised. Luckily they were all supportive, and at the end of the day all of those said friends & teachers high fived her, and complimented her on her bravery. 





























I was excited and looking forward for 1:30 to come along so that we can go over to the school where members of the St. Baldrick's Organization were present to witness this wonderful event. There were 13 students who volunteered to have their heads shaved including the principal, and guidance counselor. Lexie, and another young woman were the only two girls who decided to have their hair buzzed off. I couldn't believe my eyes as I was on my knees recording this momentous event the entire time (which you can watch here.) I saw as the hairdresser put her hair in a ponytail, and then cutting it offThe entire class was cheering for both her & Symone (yes...she has blue hair) while their hair was being cut, and even more so as it was being shaved. They were such a good sport, and I was amazed at their bravery. Lexie didn't shed one tear, and although my eyes got a little teary...they didn't stream down my face. 
^^^ lexie with a bob before the shave ^^^
^^^ Lexie & Symone after the "shave" & with Ms. Gardner who also got her hair cut short. ^^^
^^^ Principal Otten at the bottom left with his head completely shaved off along with the other shavees of the school. ^^^
There are many members on both sides of our families who have died of cancer, and friends of mine who have battled it, and survived. I am so grateful for organizations such as St. Baldrick's who stand proud for what they do, and especially grateful for my daughter whose heart is so big to have been selfless enough to give up her gorgeous curls without any regrets (okay...now I'm crying.) I also want to express my gratitude to those of you who donated funds on her behalf for this great cause. It really meant a lot to Lexie. 
This day, as overwhelming as it was for everyone was definitely a "proud mom moment" for me, and I am so amazed at how this child of ours who found it in her heart to do something extremely amazing for such a great cause! She is even more beautiful to me now than she ever has been!

*Hope you're weekend was just as amazing as ours was, and that this week is even more amazing! 


1 comment:

  1. I’ve really enjoyed reading this article, thank you for sharing. Such a brave thing to do and for such a worthy cause!! Well Done you!! Listen Fundraising have been working really hard this year to help raise money for a great cause! I recommend you check out the fundraising they are doing!

    https://www.youtube.com/user/listenfundraising

    ReplyDelete