REPLY

Monday, July 2, 2018

On Ministering & The Beatty's Last Day.

"We are constantly surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness whether they be family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve, and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us." 


President Monson said, "We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we're doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the "thick of thin things." In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

Ever since the church changed its stance from visiting teaching to "ministering" we have been having great discussions on Sundays in Relief Society on how to reach out to others,and in becoming more unified. One great lesson we recently learned about was based on President Henry B. Eyring's talk titled, "Fear Not To Do Good." 

The quotes in the beginning of this post may be different from the talk but for me they are similar in different ways. Ministering, and being not afraid to serve in my eyes are equal. Ever since I was a young adult I knew that reaching out and befriending others was important. I attest that to having excellent visiting teachers when I first joined the LDS church. Now that I'm older I feel it's important to not only serve those in the church, but to serve my family, friends, and neighbors even more. Everyone needs a helping hand, a kind voice, a warm hug, or just a simple hello while walking down the street. 

There are going to be days when someone is going to have a major storm, and times when we may not know because they're not showing it, or expressing and venting it on social media, to us in privately in person, or in a church setting. 

It's so important to observe, and just take a look around and see if there may be someone that doesn't seem like their normal self. I know the signs because I've been there. There have been times when I've had a struggle, and one that was a major storm for me, and when I told one of my dear friends what was happening she couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe that I never showed my feelings about at church, or looked so messed up. She was amazed, and that's when I told her that worrying about it won't solve anything, and that talking about it in a public setting is not the place to share such a hardship. She agreed, and was so sad for me, but my example in how i handled that trial blew her away, and confiding in her brought so much comfort to my heart, and I felt more at peace knowing that I had someone to share my sorrows with! 

I have also learned to be bold, and being quick to help others. I may not have the finances to help others, but I have my heart, and helping hands to share. 
And yesterday we were happy to have helped one of  our sweet sisters with packing, and cleaning up her house. The Beatty's are moving to Japan, and they will be missed. Serving them was the best, and I'm so glad that i got to know her in the two years I've been here. How lucky we are to have the love of the gospel that teaches us to love, and serve others....without complaining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment