REPLY

Friday, July 29, 2011

Love is spoken here


I grew up with only one sibling...a sister. There were times when we weren't very close and times when we would hug each other so tight that I couldn't breath. Those tight hugging moments occurred when we'd witness our parents fighting and then when my sister moved out of the house to be married at the age of 19. When we were little, there were times when we'd fight, and I mean literally fight... like alley cats. We'd pull each others hair, kick and bite one another. It was awful. Not your normal sibling rivalry. What made it worse was when our mother would intervene, and start wailing on us because of our fighting. That was scary. We tried so hard after that to not fight as much. Now my sister and I are the best of friends! I know that we learned this behavior from observing our parents by physically hurting one another. I vowed that when I got married and had children, that I would not allow them to hit each other. I also told myself that I would never marry anyone that would physically abuse me or hurt me in any way.

So far, both wishes have come true. 

I watch my girls now and I am happy to say that they treat one another with kindness and love. I love it. I love that they don't gibe, hit, or yell, or curse at each other. Sure they have their normal sibling spats...who doesn't? They all enjoy spending quality time with each other. Of course there are days when they each need time for themselves. But for the most part, they love each other's company.

I have learned to develop patience throughout the years and to not take my stress out on them or get after them for petty things. There are times when I have done that and will still do that, but I stop to think. I think of a blissful moment instead of reacting and wailing on them. I have a future Priesthood holder in the house who needs all of us (writer included) to set a good example for him. My oldest has a huge role in bringing solace into the home. With her music and the way she plays the piano soothes my mind, heart, and soul.  She and Lexie are a big help with calming the small storms in the house (a.k.a. Chelsea and Noah.) Lately, Noah's been randomly slapping Chelsea for no reason. She is my youngest daughter and the sassiest (she still doesn't deserve it.) Sometimes I wonder if he's paying her back for the times that she would treat him like a rag doll when he was a little baby. He's growing, getting taller, and is extremely strong-willed. I don't want Noah or any of the kids to think that hitting is okay. I'm sure it's a phase and hope that as I teach him to not hit anymore... he will stop.

Peace fills my heart when there is peace in our home. The month of July is almost over which means school starts in at least five weeks, and Summer comes to a halt. I want to enjoy the next five weeks in this house without berating any of my children (which is impossible.) But when I have to, all I have to do is give them 'the look' as my husband calls it, and they all know mother means business.

It's been a pretty good month and hope that I will always have blissful moments when all of my kids faces look like this...

LOVE IS SPOKEN HERE...ALWAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment