REPLY

Thursday, July 21, 2011

In the midst of a heat wave


If you really have to go out in this heat...then go. If you don't, stay indoors. It has been unbearably hot for the past two days and I've only gone out a couple of times. I had to drop off my eldest at the church for Youth Conference yesterday. It was 6:30 when we arrived at the church and I swear it felt like it was 100 degrees.

This weather reminds me of July and August weather in Nevada. I remember we visited my cousins one year in Las Vegas for the Fourth of July. Once we passed St. George I started feeling the desert heat. I felt like as if I was literally inhaling the sun! We usually would visit them every year on Memorial Day, but we had missed out that year, and decided to go in July. Never again did we go in the month of July! We did make the best of our trip that year.

 I feel like I live in desert heat right about now!

We've been living in New Jersey now for three years and this is the hottest it has ever been! It's pretty tolerable if you've lived in humidity before. Still...I'm not as young as I used to be and there are days when the heat just drains me. So with that being written, I explained to my three younger ones that we need to find things to do in the house to keep us occupied for the next couple of days. We love the beach but it's just too hot to take my 20 month old outdoors. I don't care if he he'll be wearing a hat and have tons of sunscreen on. I'll wait until the temperatures drop ten degrees and the heat index is at least 90 for us to go to the pool or beach.

Chelsea and Lexie are full of ideas and so far they are not bored!  Chelsea began to draw with chalk on our sidewalk and steps in front of our house, and after about ten minutes...she was ready to go inside.

 This is her work of art...
 

By the look on Lexie's face, I think she'd rather be inside reading than sliding on a piece of             plastic that is too small for her. Or maybe she's just HOT! 

She was sweating so much that her and her sister decided to pull out the slip and slide. I can't believe those things are still around. I can't believe I own one. I had one of these when I was a kid! It hardly ever gets used. Again, they were only outside for a little while and then they came inside to play school, piano, violin, draw, color, and Lexie is on her third round of reading the Harry Potter Series.

I just tended to Noah's needs. He's been a little cranky lately, and I think his molars are coming in. It could also be from sitting outside in the heat. You can see him just chilling on the chair in the background. I was getting hot myself and only had the energy to take a couple of pictures.

I'm glad I have kids that are able to find things to do on their own without having me to tell them what to do. It's nice to see them enjoy these super HOT summer days, and then to have them take a very late nap...on their own (maybe they'll sleep through the night!) There are no bedtime schedules in our house during the summer. Then again...we really don't have a set bedtime schedule during the school year either. Remember...I'm a spontaneous mom!
^^^ Here is Chelsea in her favorite cherry dress crashed out on my bed. What is it about my bed? All my kids love to sleep on it! ^^^

Noah is too cute. He will find any place in the house and just fall asleep. There was one time when I was writing cards or doing scrap booking on the kitchen table or something, and he just fell asleep underneath the table near my feet. 
^^^ Noah is too cute. He will find any place in the house and just fall asleep. There was one time when I was writing cards or doing scrap booking on the kitchen table or something, and he just fell asleep underneath the table near my feet. ^^^ 

The past two days have been nice being indoors, and having the kids doing different things on their own.

I'm obviously done blogging, and now I'm about to do more pinning on Pinterest. If you haven't started pinning yet, I'd recommend it. It's a whole lot of fun.

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.
 ~Russel Baker


*What do your kids do during a heat wave? 
*Do you own a slip and slide...or am I the only one?

No comments:

Post a Comment